Opinions Needed! Upgrade to VCI-100 Arcade OR Midifighter?

Default Opinions Needed! Upgrade to VCI-100 Arcade OR Midifighter?

Hey guys,

So I already have the recently bought VCI-100 SE. But I am considering to return it to DJTT for an upgrade to the Arcade mod which goes for $250. But I was going through the Midifighter forum and noticed that the midifighter can do the same beat juggling function as the VCI-100 SE mapping AND it's cheaper than an upgrade to VCI-100 SE Arcade.

So far...

For the upgrade to VCI-100 SE Arcade:
    PROS - (1)Eye catching/Wow aspect, (2)Easier to beat juggle, (3)again "Wow! Sick looking midi controller!"
    CON - (1)More expensive, (2)Still have to switch juggling 1-4 to 5-8, and (3)Controller free for 2-3 weeks

For the purchase of a Midifighter:
    PROS - (1)Focused Deckalized mapping allows me to beatjuggle cue points 1-8 readily (2) More functions (3) Another controller to my set (4) $50 Cheaper!
    CON - None that I can think of

So I need your opinions! Should I upgrade my VCI-100 SE to Arcade mod OR purchase a Midifighter? Mind you I can not choose both

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

No cons on the Midi Fighter tells me you've already made your mind up.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Lol yeah so it seems

I just wanted to see what other people would do in my situation. And for the people who do use the VCI-100 SE and Midifighter together to fill in the cons

Well if you don't have an external mixer already the VCI-100SE will save you some money because it basically has all the controls there. If you do have an external mixer then get the MIDI Fighters. That's pretty much my logic when I was looking to buy either of those. Ended up getting a VCI-100 because of budget constraints.

he already has a VCI, this debate is about 'to arcade or not to arcade'.

Look into a DIY arcade mod, that would be a LOT cheaper, especially if you file out the holes yourself rather than going to a machine shop.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I did look at DIY arcade mod but I just don't think I have the time and capability of pulling off something like that. Heck, I can't even stick on the "Press Play" sticker on my MBP right (had to order another one )

I really don't see why it's that expensive when it just seems to take some precise hole drilling and 8 arcade buttons that sells for $2.19 each as opposed to make 16 holes and using twice as many arcade buttons. Excuse me if I sound ignorant. There must be a good reason I guess.

If this question is out of line then I'll delete my post... but I was thinking that if I can order the arcade buttons myself and pay someone on the forum that has experience installing the arcade mod themselves do it for me at a cheaper price? Again if this is going against any rules this post can be deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Smallhans View Post
    I really don't see why it's that expensive when it just seems to take some precise hole drilling and 8 arcade buttons that sells for $2.19 each as opposed to make 16 holes and using twice as many arcade buttons. Excuse me if I sound ignorant. There must be a good reason I guess.
    Well, I think it's a bit on the expensive side but the reasons I can think of are:
    1. you can't drill them as that warps the faceplate, they have to be water jetted
    2. All the soldering and rewiring has to be hand done
    3. the midifighter is mass produced in batches of 500 and the faceplates can be drilled, which is much cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Smallhans View Post
    If this question is out of line then I'll delete my post... but I was thinking that if I can order the arcade buttons myself and pay someone on the forum that has experience installing the arcade mod themselves do it for me at a cheaper price? Again if this is going against any rules this post can be deleted
    Sounds fine to me, this is an open community with nothing against buying products/services from people other than DJTT.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES