Hard drive advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Hard drive advice

Hey all, i know there are a lot of tech wizards on here so thought i would ask peoples advice as i am trying to do it on the cheap, my second laptop went caput a few weeks back and i have been told its the sata hard drive has broke, so i am looking to buy a new hard drive pref a 1tb, i have seen some on ebay ranging from £25 to £50. Heres my question. Does the make of a hard drive make a big difference as i noticed there are a lot of hitachi and samsung drives, if it does make a big difference could some one suggest a good one for a reasonable price

Please and thanks
    Music is Life. Life is Evissa.

http://www.mix.dj/viral-player/0/steeshuk.html

Hrmm...

Most laptops require 2.5" drives

those aren't cheap nor do they come in 1TB sizes. The largest 2.5" drive avail is 600GBs by Seagate and they sell for $400+
    /edit fail on my part.
    Last edited by Paka Ono; 04-08-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Well my Samsung 1Tb has just given up on me so wouldn't advise that - I've got a Hitachi in there as well and that seems fine - its the 7K1000.C 1 - gonna get another tomorrow to replace the Samsung

About £35 - £40 in UK.

Might be worth getting a sata 6gb one though

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=1279

Oh thought you meant a desktop hard drive
    SC | MC

i always recommend western digital. theyve treated me right over the years of many, many, many desktop and laptop builds.

external, ive had *two* in over 5 years, and one of those two is still running - only got the recent one to take advantage of the macbook pro firewire port. lacie.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

I have a bunch of 60gb ones here at work if you need one. Just pay for shipping. Tried selling them on here, but it was a no go. Check out the buy/sell thread for photos.

good brands of HD are western digital, segate, hitachi. They do come in 1 TB form @ 5400 RPM, i would go for a WD Black 750 GB 16MB 7200. Keep in mind that the 1 TB HD are 12.5mm and the regular size are 9mm. The 1TB are known to fit inside macbook & macbook pro's. Check out www.newegg.com or www.amazon.com for deals
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I think, not sure, but biggest 2.5" drives are 750gb.

Personally, I've a laptop running Mac OSX and a PC running Windows 7. I got a 2.5" USB powered external drive and use that to store music and can share it between both machines (using NTFS format).

Then, as long as you have 80gb+ hard drive on your laptop, you can copy over what you know you want to use to the laptop so Traktor will load/use the files quicker.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Keep in mind that the 1 TB HD are 12.5mm and the regular size are 9mm. The 1TB are known to fit inside macbook & macbook pro's. Check out www.newegg.com
    the 12mm 1tb samsung drives DO NOT fit in a macbook (atleast the Early '09 Unibody 13" Macbooks)

9mm is the way to go... but they dont make 1tb drives that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Paka Ono View Post
    The largest 2.5" drive avail is 600GBs by Seagate and they sell for $400+
    the 1tb samsung was like $100... i got a 750gb WD Scorpio Blue for $80 .. so thats deff not true (NewEgg is madddd quick to get shit to you too)

......also theres a lil snag with putting an optibay caddy in a macbook ('09 13" Unibody Macbook like the DJTT article about the SSD doubleswap) - so you have to do some extra modding to get it to fit.
    Last edited by Nesquigs; 04-08-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    the 12mm 1tb samsung drives DO NOT fit in a macbook (atleast the Early '09 Unibody 13" Macbooks)

9mm is the way to go... but they dont make 1tb drives that big.
    they fit in the macbooks (white/black) and macbook pros.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    the 1tb samsung was like $100... i got a 750gb WD Scorpio Blue for $80 .. so thats deff not true
    I think, generally, it's accepted. Most (maybe all?) laptops and Mac (as far as I'm aware) use 9mm think 2.5" hard drives. You can get larger ones but they then go to a 12mm thickness. This then means you have to mod your laptop/Mac, which is obviously up to you to do.

I think people state 750gb as largest 2.5" drive without having to move to a 12mm thickness drive.

I might be wrong here though as I have a Dell (and originally Windows) laptop beaten into submission and running Mac OSX.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast