BCD 3000 doesn't work after alcohol spilled on it.
    Tech Convert

Default BCD 3000 doesn't work after alcohol spilled on it.

Hello,

Couple of days ago I had a party, where some alcohol drinks were spilled on my BCD 3000. Unfortunatelly, I left it on for a couple of days and now it has allmost died.
    I know, that was stupid idea to leave it on, but, well, s*it happens.
    Anyway, now when I connect it to my laptop, it finds the device, some faders work, some of them - doesn't. When I try to turn my jogwheel (left one), it seems, that simultaneously many other controls are being pressed.
    I disassembled it and wiped everything out, but this didn't help.
    What it might be - is there possibility that I cleaned not everything, or some of the contacts oxidized and now there is no chance to fix it?

Thank you very much for any advises provided!

Yikes, OK, try something. It's harmless. Get yourself a bottle of Isopropyl Alchohol and a toothbrush.

Disassemble the controller to access the PC Board. Spread some alcohol over the board, toroughly brush the board, suck the alcohol with a vacuum, repeat few times all around the pcb, on both side. Let it dry for few minutes and reconnect the controller.

Worst case, Rubbing alcohol may also work...
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Convert

Cheers, DJKeyWee!
    I will try to do so!
    One more thing - the volume of headphones also is very low, so it is connected to that problem mentioned in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    Yikes, OK, try something. It's harmless. Get yourself a bottle of Isopropyl Alchohol and a toothbrush.

Disassemble the controller to access the PC Board. Spread some alcohol over the board, toroughly brush the board, suck the alcohol with a vacuum, repeat few times all around the pcb, on both side. Let it dry for few minutes and reconnect the controller.

Worst case, Rubbing alcohol may also work...

hard to tell without having the beast open and in my hands... usually, and when done within a short delay after the spill, cleaning the board/controls/contact may solve most problems.

Good luck...

Tech Convert

Yes, with short delay...
    But not when it was left on for approx 24 more hours...
    Anyway, will try doing so and will share experience! Can I also clean rotary controls somehow with that alcohol, or contacts and logic board only?

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    hard to tell without having the beast open and in my hands... usually, and when done within a short delay after the spill, cleaning the board/controls/contact may solve most problems.

Good luck...

From what I remember of this specific controller, those controls/pot are pretty much sealed but sure enough, some drop will go through.

Alcohol and resistive material (Carbon and the likes) are usually poor bedfellow. To clean any pot/fader you want to use something like DeOxit D5 or else control cleaner without Silicon lubricant. To my experience, DeOxit D5 is the best for this kind of task.

If they were mechanical rotary encoder (endless pot) you could have used alcohol.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by spotons View Post
    Hello,

Couple of days ago I had a party, where some alcohol drinks were spilled on my BCD 3000. Unfortunatelly, I left it on for a couple of days and now it has allmost died.
    I know, that was stupid idea to leave it on, but, well, s*it happens.
    Anyway, now when I connect it to my laptop, it finds the device, some faders work, some of them - doesn't. When I try to turn my jogwheel (left one), it seems, that simultaneously many other controls are being pressed.
    I disassembled it and wiped everything out, but this didn't help.
    What it might be - is there possibility that I cleaned not everything, or some of the contacts oxidized and now there is no chance to fix it?

Thank you very much for any advises provided!
    maybe oxide dirt but also a short out micro component those small microprocessor are really small and with just static electricity they will blow. so maybe one of them went on you. taking the controller apart, buy some non conductive electronic cleaner and blow dry keep it apart for a few hours so it could air dry. good luck