Controversial Traktor Scratch hack featured on DJTT blog - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Many professionals will still want to pay for guaranteed compatability, reliability, and tech support, and wouldn't want to use an untested hack anyway.

I dont understand all of the hate and disdain either for the article either. None of the mixers listed are cheap, and if you have a licensed copy of Traktor, you should be able to do whatever you want. Since it's not officially supported, the DJ/user assumes the risk.

I'm wishing I had a A&H DB2/4 to try it out personally

Tech Guru

Both good points, but in mind it still doesn't make it right. To me it doesn't make it right to use a scratch hack or a hacked version of Traktor for that matter because in reality you could never afford or would never pay for it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Both good points, but in mind it still doesn't make it right. To me it doesn't make it right to use a scratch hack or a hacked version of Traktor for that matter because in reality you could never afford or would never pay for it anyways.
    It's not right because NI says it isn't right. Obviously they're going to say that as it stops them making money on unsold scratch soundcards.

The bottom line is, if you have purchased Traktor Scratch Pro legally and have a scratch certified sound card, you really aren't doing much wrong as all you'd have to do is plug in the sound card. But you have that anyway... Do you see what I'm saying?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paka Ono View Post
    I dont understand all of the hate and disdain either for the article either. None of the mixers listed are cheap, and if you have a licensed copy of Traktor, you should be able to do whatever you want. Since it's not officially supported, the DJ/user assumes the risk.

I'm wishing I had a A&H DB2/4 to try it out personally
    Price is irrelevant - the hack does not need expensive mixers to work...

You can even use hacks to get timecode through your computer's onboard sound card.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    The bottom line is, if you have purchased Traktor Scratch Pro legally and have a scratch certified sound card, you really aren't doing much wrong as all you'd have to do is plug in the sound card. But you have that anyway... Do you see what I'm saying?
    Do you see that scenario anywhere in the DJTT article, or see anyone complaining about people doing that? The issue is with people using the hack to use Scratch without owning a Traktor sound card.
    Last edited by makar1; 03-07-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Price is irrelevant - the hack does not need expensive mixers to work...

You can even use hacks to get timecode through your computer's onboard sound card.
    I don't know many onboard sound cards that have dual in/out

But like most people have said. The people most likely to use this already own (multiple) licenses of Traktor and sound cards. I personally have ADJ4 and 2x ADJ8s.

The issue is with people using the hack to use Scratch without owning a Traktor sound card.
    Well how many people out there own TSP without an approved sound card? If I had to guess, the numbers are low. And if this increases sales of TSP licenses, I don't see how this is a bad thing?
    Last edited by Paka Ono; 03-07-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Wasn't there a way to get timecode through an old Hercules controller at one point?

EDIT: Just found it on Youtube, not sure if it's a bannable offence to post here though?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paka Ono View Post
    I don't know many onboard sound cards that have dual in/out
    My desktop motherboard has a line in port, along with two independant mic ports (front+back). And there are 5 independant stereo outputs for 7.1 surround and headphones.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    My desktop motherboard has a line in port, along with two independant mic ports (front+back). And there are 5 independant stereo outputs for 7.1 surround and headphones.
    True on outputs, but most mic ins are mono, so combined that's still a single phono stereo in. IIRC DVS does not like mono in. (and i have no idea how many MBs can remap line level ins to phono/mic level ins). Also how many people bring their desktop's to gigs? All and all still doesn't seem like an issue, for what is a huge plus for licensed TSP owners.

My argument isn't that it's "right" to use the hack instead of buying NI hardware. My argument is that there is clearly a demand to use alternative audio interfaces with Scratch, and that many will likely use the hack instead of adding additional hardware (and unnecessary routing) to their rig. NI could recognize this demand and provide a legitimate option to pay to unlock a "non-certified" mixer.

Clearly there is nothing inherently special about the technology in a certified mixer beyond its guaranteed/tested compatibility (as this hack proves). NI could please its customers and get a piece of the revenue by charging an upgrade fee that wasn't dependent on a hardware dongle.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast