Laptop DJs (synchronization, backup and portability)

Default Laptop DJs (synchronization, backup and portability)

How do the lot of us backup and synchronize our music collections between stations (MAC/PC)?

Is anybody using NAS, online backup services, sync software?

Im also curious on how people run their spin/jam sessions with other laptop DJs (i.e. do you bring your laptop along with you or do you just bring your storage medium and if so...how do you prevent your music from ending up on everybody else's PC?)
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

i have a 4tb NAS at home with back ups of 2 macbook, macmini. Plus store my music/videos/data to share around the house. I do keep a back up of my dj macbook on a firewire hd just incase it take a crap.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Yea Im seriously considering getting a NAS soon. Is that how you keep synced up between your machines?

Anybody else? How do you usually run spin sessions? Do you just bring a flash stick with you and delete of the machine when done?

i have an 8 gig flashdrive that i keep my most played tracks on
    i use that to go back and forth on computers. it also keeps my laptops small hard drive clear

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post
    Yea Im seriously considering getting a NAS soon. Is that how you keep synced up between your machines?
    What i do is time machine back ups and do a side back up of my music, serato, and traktor folders.

I dont trust flash drives and its not like im going to go up to a random dj and ask hey man can I use you mac, mine too a crap. I usually bring back up cds too. some thing like this:

Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

can i point out to everyone here the importance of offsite storage. External drives are relatively cheap these days. Your nas ain't gonna save your tunes/mixes/photos etc if your house burns down. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by crankcaller View Post
    can i point out to everyone here the importance of offsite storage. External drives are relatively cheap these days. Your nas ain't gonna save your tunes/mixes/photos etc if your house burns down. Just sayin...
    Yup, back it all up on an external drive and put it in a safe deposit box. I use 2 and rotate them every 2 weeks.
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

I periodically ghost my notebook drive to another notebook drive when i add new tunes.
    This way if the drive dies i can just stick the second drive in, or copy the second drive to a new drive.
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

Quote Originally Posted by crankcaller View Post
    yup... a word of warning if you choose Carbonite (http://www.carbonite.com/). They allow backups from ONE workstation and the data you "backed up" needs to stay on that station. If its deleted...the offsite backup will remove it within a couple weeks too.

(thought it was a good deal at $50 a year and unlimited storage.... )