Traktor TSI file management
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Traktor TSI file management

I picked up my copy of Traktor a week ago, I've put great effort into reading the user manual and now I am creating a mapping for my BCR2000.

The most compelling and greatest feature of Traktor is without a doubt the flexibility of its mappings, and yet it is Traktor's most infuriating, insulting and frustrating feature because of the way users are forced to manage and edit mappings exclusively by means of the mouse.

Currently it is impossible to re-use sections of existing mappings, or to merge two mappings. Everything must be done click-by-click, instead of using a simple, human-readable, plain-text file that anyone could edit in Notepad.

Now, being able to modify a couple of mappings quickly from the GUI is fine, but the again the mappings table isn't searchable, whereas a plain text file is.

The current state of affairs inhibits experimentation, and I refuse to believe that NI force themselves to create mappings the way we are forced to do. Essentially, they probably have a plain-text to TSI converter. So when can we have it?

Surely Ean and all the other gurus round here are with me on this one, yes/no?
    Last edited by Scoox; 11-04-2013 at 09:02 PM.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

NI mappings are simple and easy to create so they probably don't need better interface. Let's see if Pro 3 would touch the manager more.

So may I ask how you go about managing, reusing, modifying, merging, etc, your mappings? What if you want to delete 10 entries in the mappings table? Can you select more than one entry simultaneously? Traktor mappings are simple and easy to create, but once created they are not easy to manage. This wouldn't be the case if TSI files were human-friendly. I just created a mapping with just one assignment, and that exported to a massvie TSI file with a bunch of unintelligible text in it.

I am not saying remove the existing mapping management system, I am just asking for a tool to enable users to manually edit mappings in a plain-text editor. Do you honestly believe NI make mappings like us through Traktor's UI? That's just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Scoox; 09-19-2014 at 12:57 AM.

You can use extreme mappings app to do everything you've described but this app is available only for a mac for eternity. Although I don't use it for my mappings...

They probably have some paterns but you can't run away from UI if you dont have some fancy commands that we don't see

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    NI mappings are simple and easy to create so they probably don't need better interface. Let's see if Pro 3 would touch the manager more.
    You must be the only person I can think of that thinks this. Yes mapping is easy but the way its handled in Traktor is indeed infuriating at times. As Scoox says simply not being able to delete multiple entries at once or even amend multiple entries at once is annoying and over complicated.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    You must be the only person I can think of that thinks this. Yes mapping is easy but the way its handled in Traktor is indeed infuriating at times. As Scoox says simply not being able to delete multiple entries at once or even amend multiple entries at once is annoying and over complicated.
    The mapping is game. Don't add commands you want to delete on later

But seriously, this request have been bored NI that they don't want to add it to interface.

Advanced text editors such as EditPlus are able to search and replace in very sophisticated ways (including using RegEx). I very much doubt Xtreme Mappings can be anywhere near as good as a simple human-readable text file. And anyway, I am on PC so that doesn't help. What would help is a TSI-to-TXT and TXT-to-TSI conversion utility. In this case whether the app is for Mac or Window is only a minor details--the encoding and decoding algorithms would be cross-platform without modification. Doing format conversion is not rocket science, even I could do it provided NI told me the algorithm behind their cryptic TSI files.

Apparently the developer of Xtreme Mappings has figured this one out but is not willing to share the joy with PC users.

I develop some simple software as a hobby, and Traktor's interface makes me feel like a boxer with his hands tied behind his back.
    Last edited by Scoox; 11-05-2013 at 04:33 AM.

What would help is a TSI-to-TXT and TXT-to-TSI conversion utility.
    Yup.

...Traktor's interface makes me feel like a boxer with his hands tied behind his back.
    Yup.

DJ Decks used to have a GREAT mapping system - using text files (notepad!). It's a great shame Traktor doesn't have something similar.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Stewe the Xtreme Mapping app would save you a lot of time. Just being able to copy and paste a batch of commands,(from any mapping to any other mapping) then change the note assignment (and/or modifiers) of that batch is such a time saver. In your case with all the mappings you do, you could save hours upon hours of time.

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Stewe the Xtreme Mapping app would save you a lot of time. Just being able to copy and paste a batch of commands,(from any mapping to any other mapping) then change the note assignment (and/or modifiers) of that batch is such a time saver. In your case with all the mappings you do, you could save hours upon hours of time.
    Me knows bud, though I'd need to buy mac to get started with EM...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast