FL Studio PC Requirements
    Tech Wizard

Question FL Studio PC Requirements

Okay,
    So I have a relatively old HP IQ504 All-In-One Desktop PC, with 4GB of RAM, that's not upgradable. I have FL Studio on my new laptop but I don't like using my laptop for music production. If I install FL on my desktop, will it run properly. I know that FL can't process above $GB, but with the system running, will the remaining 2.5ish GB be enough to run FL? I can only find pages that show FL's max RAM, not minimum. Thank you, all help is greatly appreciated!

http://support.image-line.com/knowle...p?id=55&ans=82
    http://support.image-line.com/knowle...?id=55&ans=214

Get the demo or since you already have FL studio, install it on the desktop and give it a whirl? Hopefully you have some tracks completed/well thought out so you can truly out. Looks like they recommend a minimum of 8 GB RAM although state that it will work with 4 GB. You're also at the very bottom end for CPU specs as well. Having too many channels will likely present problems. Finally, while FL Studio isn't 64-bit, it does support VSTs that are 64-bit which is another point to take into consideration.

Personally, if I were you, I'd use the laptop. I'm not sure your aversion to using it for production, but if it's specs are much better, you're better off there. The last thing you want is to get deep into the production of some songs only to find out that your PC craps out trying to actually finalize the song, then have to copy everything over to your laptop, etc.

Tech Wizard

Ok that makes sense. I installed it, and it runs,for now.

Are there any older versions of FL Studio or Ableton that can perform better on 4GB of ram...? They don't necessarily need to have all the newest plugins and fancy interfaces :P

But it looks like I have to invest in a computer this year, it's been a good 5-6 years with this one

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrotix View Post
    Ok that makes sense. I installed it, and it runs,for now.

Are there any older versions of FL Studio or Ableton that can perform better on 4GB of ram...? They don't necessarily need to have all the newest plugins and fancy interfaces :P

But it looks like I have to invest in a computer this year, it's been a good 5-6 years with this one
    Not sure about other DAW's, but I know for a fact that in Ableton Live it doesn't really matter about RAM. I went on a course by Lynda.com which told me

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Well every software program is dependent on RAM, it's just how much of the software can you utilize at one time without it crippling your system. So I'm sure with Ableton as well as FL Studio, you can use it to produce some relatively simple productions, however the more channels you add into your mix, more effects on those channels, etc. you will likely have issues with limited amounts of RAM. The question for each DAW is at what level does that limit start to kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Well every software program is dependent on RAM
    Of course, you can't even run a PC without RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.