mixer design with midi fighter style buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default mixer design with midi fighter style buttons

hi all, i have been brewing a design for a mixer with some of the best features of older analogue mixers and a few quirky ideas, also updating some features to work with the likes of tractor. For some reason it seems like most mixers nowadays have eliminated kill switches and pot the knobs so close to each other, not catering for big fingers. its still a work in progress however i am quite curious to know what you think and would like to ad:

key features:

Large knobs
    arcade buttons
    kill switches
    on board sound card
    full analogue mixer
    midi mapable
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tekki; 01-20-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: updated image

I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Crisis View Post
    I like it
    thanks, it still needs a few bits like sours selectors etc but its getting there

Tech Guru

Personally I don't like red and black together.

Position of the VU meters at the bottom, just doesn't look right, I would keep them purely on the master to show master output. Just have LED's to show clipping.

The Rotary pots still look too close together.

To help with layout, look at the Condesa Rotary Mixer, shows how VU's can incorparate well into a design. And how far apart pots should be. Also check E&S DJR 400.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Punch? Dunno about that, mate...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post

Position of the VU meters at the bottom, just doesn't look right, I would keep them purely on the master to show master output. Just have LED's to show clipping.

The Rotary pots still look too close together.

To help with layout, look at the Condesa Rotary Mixer, shows how VU's can incorparate well into a design. And how far apart pots should be. Also check E&S DJR 400.
    the diameter of the knobs are 18mm, as they are smaller than the arcade buttons, arcade buttons are 33.5mm in diameter including bezel around, the useable gap between 2 rotaries is 19mm, you are right it is a bit tight, the VU meters could go in favour of the led's, that would give me some more room to space out the knobs.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Punch? Dunno about that, mate...
    Punch buttons is going back in time, they used to be standard on mixers and was allot of fun to mix with, basically it reverses the channels while held in. used to have loads of fun with that function

Tech Convert

Default red and black

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    the colours unfortunately is down to what decent resolution images i could find on the net, the best one actually ended up being red. ideally they will be illuminated and light red when activated to kill, and green when the audio signal is passing through normally, giving a clear indication of what is actually going on

Mixer would need to have a larger faceplate than that... Looks like a small amount of room to work with anyways.

Also, it can do without the EQ kills, but that is just MY opinion.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Mixer would need to have a larger faceplate than that... Looks like a small amount of room to work with anyways.

Also, it can do without the EQ kills, but that is just MY opinion.
    the mixer is slightly larger than a standard 2 channel mixer, measurements are 280mm wide by 350mm deep, the same depth as a technics turntable. the knobs however are larger, much larger than normal. Unfortunately the kill switches is what inspired me to design this, as allot of new mixers have stopped doing this and it has always been one of my favourite features on the older mixers. with knobs you can only ever do 2 at a time, with kill switches you get a far more complex mix on the eq and drops have more punch. just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast