How Did You Get Your First Club Gig?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Did You Get Your First Club Gig?

I'm looking for some stories of how you got your first club gig. And I'm not talking about a basement of a friend, or a frat party. An actual club that payed you money to play music. How did you get in, who did you talk to, what kind of club was it?

I started out as a barback at this club in Philly. I've been DJing frat parties for years in college, and our DJ at the club quit on the spot because of some issue with the owners. I told the owners I DJ, and I was booked for the next Thursday. There were about 20 people there, and it was kind of awkward, but I got paid to play music for 4 hours. Now I DJ their Saturday nights, and have made connections with other bar owners/club managers.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Mentor

pretty much the same as you did.

i worked behind the bar at the club, i kept harping on to the managers to let me do a bit of djing, even a warm up set for the regular dj (who i knew i was better then because i realised what mixing was)

one day about a hour before i set of to work i get a phone call from the manager....'korin?? ... yes? ... 'your on the rota tonight to work till close, would u mind djing till close instead?'

that was it the next week they had got rid of the other dj and became their in house resident.
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

I entered a dj contest someone in my city was hosting. It was 2 weeks after I became legal age so it was actually one of my first times being at a club
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    I entered a dj contest someone in my city was hosting. It was 2 weeks after I became legal age so it was actually one of my first times being at a club
    thats awesome. i actually follow u on fbook haha. nice seeing u on here. im posting a mixtape tonight on my page. u should check me out. www.facebook.com/metalgearrr
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

I uploaded a couple of mixes in ableton that were very well planed.
    A friend of mine invited me to play ay a party he held. He shared my set on the event on facebook.
    A promoter saw the mixtape and contacted me to play in a pretty awesome club in Buenos Aires the same night as my friends partty xD. Right away I told my friend I wasnt playing in his party and went that saturday to play at the club.
    It was my first live presentation ever, even before any house party! I did not even had a laptop, I had to borrow one from my brother!
    Anyways, I finished up playing the closing set at 6am! crappy time but for the first time ever playing in such a respectable club it was awesome. Besides I even got payed.

Local promoters tweeted
    "We are getting ready for the next edition of ZOMAAR! Who would you like to see play there?"
    So I replied
    "I'd love to see myself play there! :P"

Man, I can't believe that actually worked...

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvee View Post
    Local promoters tweeted
    "We are getting ready for the next edition of ZOMAAR! Who would you like to see play there?"
    So I replied
    "I'd love to see myself play there! :P"

Man, I can't believe that actually worked...
    haha Classic and very cool

Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    thats awesome. i actually follow u on fbook haha. nice seeing u on here. im posting a mixtape tonight on my page. u should check me out. www.facebook.com/metalgearrr
    cheers buddy! I'll check it out when I get home
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Anybody know of any clubs looking for 14 & 17 year olds to DJ at ? Because we would gladly accept the offer
    Traktor Kontrol S2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Akai APC40 :: 17" Acer
    Check out our new "D.O.D - What Time?" Remix! : http://snd.sc/1bvF1xf

Quote Originally Posted by SwedeDreams View Post
    Anybody know of any clubs looking for 14 & 17 year olds to DJ at ? Because we would gladly accept the offer
    I would just tell you to look up your city and type in teen clubs or go to skate rings/Skateboarding or places that have a rep of being the "COOL place" like shoe stores. and just talk to the manger, usually they will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast