New or Used?

Thread: New or Used?

Default New or Used?

So I've finally gotten to upgrade from a controller to a modular set up, Mixer & deck controls. I ordered a used DN X1600 for about $550, I had a coupon, and two new Reloop Contour CE's from eBay. This got me thinking about buying used kit over new kit. I personally have no problem with buying used equipment as long as it works like it's supposed to, but it occurred to me that some people may not feel the same. Let me know your opinions on the subject.
    Current Set Up: Denon DN X1600, 2x Kontrol X1 MK1, Traktor Kontrol F1, Macbook Pro, Traktor Pro 2 LIVE & LET RAVE
    SoundCloud YouTube

I probably wouldn't buy a controller used as I see them as pretty disposable. However a high end mixer or set of 1200's, if they look good and are functionally perfect then why not, they are supposed to be built like tanks.
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's

I half agree with jayo. I kind of have a mental list of brands in my head I would never buy used based on their build quality. For instance, I love vestax stuff. Everything I have touched from them is built like a brick shit house. Same goes for livid. I own controllers from both companies. Now on the other hand you have brands like NI that I have personally seen stop working several times. Im reluctant to buy NI stuff new let alone used. I think a lot of their price points match their build quality.

so I guess it comes down to what your buying.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    I probably wouldn't buy a controller used as I see them as pretty disposable. However a high end mixer or set of 1200's, if they look good and are functionally perfect then why not, they are supposed to be built like tanks.
    They ARE built like tanks. In fact, if you dropped one on a tank, you would kill the tank. Take care of a set of 1200s and they will probably outlast you. Of course, now that they are no longer in production there is a question of parts availability, although I think it will be a few years yet before that becomes an issue.

Another option for higher end gear is to keep an eye on places like Juno. In the last year I've bought a MOTU interface and an Elektron Analog 4 from them as B-stock. Saved a pile on both, they are both virtually new (Still in boxes with all the software, cables etc,) and come with the relevant guarantees and warranties. It's the best of both worlds really. The only drawback is that you kind of have to be ready to pull the trigger if you see something you want. They are, by their nature, limited and they go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    They ARE built like tanks. In fact, if you dropped one on a tank, you would kill the tank. Take care of a set of 1200s and they will probably outlast you. Of course, now that they are no longer in production there is a question of parts availability, although I think it will be a few years yet before that becomes an issue.

Another option for higher end gear is to keep an eye on places like Juno. In the last year I've bought a MOTU interface and an Elektron Analog 4 from them as B-stock. Saved a pile on both, they are both virtually new (Still in boxes with all the software, cables etc,) and come with the relevant guarantees and warranties. It's the best of both worlds really. The only drawback is that you kind of have to be ready to pull the trigger if you see something you want. They are, by their nature, limited and they go fast.
    I totally agree with you. I tend to see a lot of kit that I want but I never have the money for it so I tend to miss out. The first controller I brought was a used Reloop TM4. It has an amazing build quality and since I've gotten it's taken a bit of a beating. I've bent the pitch faders and some of the cross fader assign switches. Long story short I guess it depends on the build quality of what I'm buying. That applys to everything I buy.
    Current Set Up: Denon DN X1600, 2x Kontrol X1 MK1, Traktor Kontrol F1, Macbook Pro, Traktor Pro 2 LIVE & LET RAVE
    SoundCloud YouTube

I tend to base it on what the product is like- a high end mixer or turntables etc I would always buy second-hand. As people have rightly said, most are built like tanks.

However controllers/CDJs I will always buy new. I brought my CDJ900s new and even then they ended up going back to Pioneer 4 times in the year that I owned them for niggly faults (intermittent Cue button, loop release not working, random system freezes, and intermittent power downs)- would have cost me a fortune without the warranty and these were players that only left my room to go to Pioneer! I know I was probably unlucky in just getting a bad pair but it seemed to vindicate my view that if something feels fragile (modern CD/media players do) then they probably are!

Similarly I'd have no problem buying a secondhand pair of CDJ1000s as they feel built like tanks.

I know it's far from an exact science (probably more witchcraft) but for me if it feels built like a tank I'll buy it second hand, if it feels like it could break just by looking at it I will buy it new with a warranty!
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

I got no problem buying used. So much of the equipment that we use is bought by kids who think it is a toy. When it doesn't work right out the box, they soon lose interest.

So much used gear is still pristine, that it's worth the risk.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Like others have said, it often depends on which company's product you're buying. I bought a used A&H Xone 4D for $1000 when it retails at $2800 new. It works totally fine, perfect condition. Sometimes it's all down to luck, I bought mine off of Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist)

Tech Convert

Default used

if its from pioneer or native instruments it should be alright used great build quality

I think it all would be based on youre budget and equipment condition if its used. You can find some good deals from good people if you look around.