Where do you place a Kontrol X1 when the setup is in a flight case?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Where do you place a Kontrol X1 when the setup is in a flight case?

Hello everyone! Sorry if this has been posted about before. I searched but only found topics about buying cases that fit the X1. My question is a little different, but first some explaining. I use 2 CDJs w/ timecode, external mixer, and an X1 for FX. For me to be able to offer the best performance I need to have my Kontrol X1 right next to the mixer (either left or right side). I use the X1 just as an FX controller and I use the FX in really close conjunction with my EQ levels. Most of the time I am filtering, delaying, etc. at the same time that I am removing or exaggerating some frequencies. It creates a smoother transition and works really great for build ups and things like that. Lately though, I've faced a problem that may seem small to some but I've found that for me it creates a huge obstacle. I go to the gig and when I get to the setup almost every time the equipment is inside a flight case. If I'm the first one to go up it's not a problem. I simply remove one of the CDJs, and put my X1 right next to the mixer. The problem is that sometimes I'm not the first and people get weirded out if I start removing equipment from the case. So if you have the same setup as me my question to you is:

What do you do or where do you place your X1 when the setup is inside a flight case and you can't remove anything?

A small note about this is that I also place my laptop off to the side of the entire flight case. That isn't a problem since I don't need to be close to the laptop. The X1, on the other hand, really needs to be side by side with the mixer. I hope some of you have an answer to this, as it is driving me crazy. I tried once to have the X1 at the bottom of the case but I ended up dropping it, hitting the play/pause button and the silence came LOL. Throw in your two cents into this, hope to get some answers. Cheers!

Tech Wizard

If you want it ''side to side'' with the mixer you are forced to move the cdj, there is no other option...
    The best thing to do if you want it close to the mixer would be tu use a stand like the crane stand or the zomo LS-2 and place it in the way that your X1 stands juste above the corner of the mixer (left right or center depends on your preference)

sorry for my bad english

Yes would suggest you just get a stand to have it hovering above the mixer.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by ginno View Post
    If you want it ''side to side'' with the mixer you are forced to move the cdj, there is no other option...
    The best thing to do if you want it close to the mixer would be tu use a stand like the crane stand or the zomo LS-2 and place it in the way that your X1 stands juste above the corner of the mixer (left right or center depends on your preference)

sorry for my bad english
    Yes! This is exactly why I wrote on this thread! At least now I have an option for my issue. The LS-2 looks great but I feel it would be somewhat overkill for just the X1, but I like the direction you're going with this. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Your English is just fine by the way... Cheers!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Fraktionz View Post
    Yes would suggest you just get a stand to have it hovering above the mixer.
    That seems to be the best option so far. I will start looking at what stands are out there that can work with the X1. I wish there was one that was specially made for it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Just as a side note the hole on the bottom of the X1, F1 and Maschine are made to go on a turntable spindle.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Just as a side note the hole on the bottom of the X1, F1 and Maschine are made to go on a turntable spindle.
    True but I mostly encounter setups where CDJ's are the standard. It's great you pointed that out though, that might be another way to go about it. Thanks!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yeah, I think in your case a stand is the best bet.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

You could also do it DVS style and put if off to the side of the flight case near your laptop. Or raise the mixer up in the case and put it sideways in front of it, in the "phone pocket" as we call it.

Also, under absolutely no circumstances should you ever remove CDJs that arent yours from a flight case that isnt yours. Seriously, just don't do it. Ask if you absolutely have to, but never do it by yourself.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    You could also do it DVS style and put if off to the side of the flight case near your laptop. Or raise the mixer up in the case and put it sideways in front of it, in the "phone pocket" as we call it.

Also, under absolutely no circumstances should you ever remove CDJs that arent yours from a flight case that isnt yours. Seriously, just don't do it. Ask if you absolutely have to, but never do it by yourself.
    Yes, that's why I want to avoid it at all cossts. I tried the "sideways-in-the-phone-pocket" position and that's when it fell and the music stopped. I think some sort of small platform hovering above the mixer is ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast