How'd you get your start?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How'd you get your start?

I'm curious about how you guys got your respective starts as DJs. What equipment did you use? Where'd you play? Are there any funny stories involved?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

A friend asked if I wanted to do it. The equipment was crap. It was a teen club and The booth was up kinda high and stoopid kids would throw requests up. they would land on the TT's giving me all kinds of fits. It's been 20 years since then and one of those stoopid kids is in the bedroom asleep right now. She told all her friends then she was going to marry me and they all laughed at here.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Haha, that's awesome

birthday parties and winamp shuffle plus a good song selection. that was my start
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

First time I ever DJed was at a teen club, too. I was working as a sound tech, and one of the DJs I worked with brought me out to help him move sound gear. After watching him use Final Scratch for about an hour I told him to take a break and never looked back.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

When I was about 17-18 (10 years ago now) in Devon, my mate had a pub and he asked me to play fridays. I took my Gemini turntables and Gemini mixer down and played house and trance. One night a few people came in and one of them asked me if I wanted to play some free parties. Ended up doing loads over the next few years and a few larger organised events.

Meet as many people in the game as you can, that's my advice. I was lucky enough to meet loads through the parties.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Tech Guru

start of last fall semester (1st year in college) friend introduced me to edm and i fell in love, next semester im in a frat party as a pledge, go up to the booth (in this case a laptop connected to speakers) and started mixing (aka jumping between youtube and hypmemachine)

as said before by pl on tis thread, never looked back
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tech Guru

I was 10 years old in 1994, and I heard a promotional mix CD off Moonshine Records (Speed Limit 140+ BPM Vol 1) and it caught my attention. I was also heavy into video games, so electronic music really was at home with me in plenty of respects as silly as that sounds.

So I did alot of hard manual labor, eventually buying an entry level setup consisting of 2 turntables and a mixer, I think they were Numark.

Then when I was old enough to legally work with a permit, I took on hard manual labor jobs, scored my first pair of Technic SL-1200's, and bought a Vestax PMC-55 (dope ass mixer at the time). I took on a moderator position at 20,000+ member message board dedicated to raves, connected with alot of people and sent out promotional CDs. Eventually I landed a radio gig, and have been a resident for quite a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    A friend asked if I wanted to do it. The equipment was crap. It was a teen club and The booth was up kinda high and stoopid kids would throw requests up. they would land on the TT's giving me all kinds of fits. It's been 20 years since then and one of those stoopid kids is in the bedroom asleep right now. She told all her friends then she was going to marry me and they all laughed at here.
    that is a sweet story

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lola View Post
    that is a sweet story
    shit it is. living the dream...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast