How often do you performing DJs use the filters/EQ/FX/samples during sets?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How often do you performing DJs use the filters/EQ/FX/samples during sets?

Hey all,

Whatever your opinion of this guy, Cole Plante, I have to say at least in this performance, he used a lot of EQ/FX/utilization of samples really tight in a few minutes but do performing DJs usually do this for hours? I could conceivably try to do this for 30 minutes but for an hour, much less 2 or more, to do this much activity outside of just spinning seems impossible to me now.

The music starts after the 6:10 mark and lasts for a few minutes. I’m also assuming for this type of performance, all his songs are definitely beatgridded, time sync is enabled, so he wouldn’t have to worry about beat matching and could focus on the triggering of samples and FX.

Thanks in advance,
    GJF

For me when it comes to fx less is definitely more, hearing that same filter cut and bit crushing he's got going on gets old fast especially over a few hours. When i use fx i want to make sure it adds something and fits with the style of music I'm playing, used sparingly and at the right time can create so really special moments

Depends on the style of music / crowd
    Some more, some less
    SC | MC

tons of eq use for me, i also use the delay, loops and reverb alot. But if you use it right them it sounds good.

Sometimes Im a bit heavy handed other times Im pretty much hands off I usally throw a sample or 2 into the mix as well.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Tech Mentor

All the time. It's what matters the most in a mix
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

i watched it, kind of an awkward video, I feel like those kids are not feelin it.

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    i watched it, kind of an awkward video, I feel like those kids are not feelin it.
    Word. But good effort nonetheless.
    I love using filters to mix but not like those harsh Pioneer filters. I also eq like crazy and sometimes prefer to eq out a track than messing around with the fader.

I use eq for every transition, fx about every 3-4 songs - depending on the genre, and tend to use a sample clip/loop once every set.
    DJ: Pioneer DDJ-SX // Sennheiser HD 8 DJ
    Production: Macbook 15" // Ableton // M-Audio Oxygen 49 MIDI Keyboard // KRK Rokit 5 x2
    Soundcloud ii My Setup

I use my Xone filters in buildups. 99% of listeners will probably think it's a part of the song. Automatic turnoff for me is hearing the same effect every song. Most Djs use them like dogshit and don't even know it. I would honestly suggest limiting your use of shit fx like bitcrush, pioneer shit-filters, etc. There is simply no need to constantly feel the need to use fx. Like I said, there are Djs that use them correctly, but there are tons more who "think" they're using them correctly

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast