Timecode with CDJ's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Timecode with CDJ's

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on using timecode with CDJ's? Im trying to make the move from controller to CDJ's and i reckon timecode would be better as i would have my laptop plus can see the waveforms etc!

A few questions though :P.........

So to use timecode with CDJ's do you HAVE to have a compatible audio interface? And do most nightclubs have the right audio interface to be used with timecode? Also looking online for the traktor scratch pack its like £400 pounds and that is totally outa my budget!

Am i missing somthing here or can you get it alot cheaper? Many thanks Alex

Tech Guru

You can't use timecode without a Scratch certified soundcard (Audio 4/6/8/10 and a few mixers) and Traktor Scratch Pro license. Unless you're sure the clubs you'll be playing at have scratch certified mixers, you'll need to buy an audio interface, as well as a timecode kit.

Tech Convert

yup theres no other way around it. you will need a certified soundcard or one of the few mixers that have it built in.
    i was recently in your position and i went with the A6. so far it has been very solid and theres not much bad i can say about it. in other words.. its worth the dough if your going to go through with this.

Which CDJ's are you going to be using this with?? Most modern CDJ's will work better in HID mode, which means you will only need to purchase Traktor Pro 2.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

You could get the TA6 package. It's about £230.

Or... bid on an Audio 4 and then get the Timecode Upgrade Kit:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NI-Audio-4...item43c5421b18

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    Which CDJ's are you going to be using this with?? Most modern CDJ's will work better in HID mode, which means you will only need to purchase Traktor Pro 2.
    That would be nice but he did say "do most nightclubs have..." so I'm guessing he isn't gigging in clubs yet so I doubt he can be certain that there will be anything other than CDJ 1000MK3's. They are still the most common found it UK clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    That would be nice but he did say "do most nightclubs have..." so I'm guessing he isn't gigging in clubs yet so I doubt he can be certain that there will be anything other than CDJ 1000MK3's. They are still the most common found it UK clubs.
    Good point, I didn't spot that in his original post.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    Im not to sure at the moment wat CDJ's ill be using and i have Traktor Pro 2 at the moment wat are the pros and cons with HID mode? Is it any easy set up etc?

Tech Mentor

And wat if someones on before or after you, and you have the plug the CDJ's or they have to unplug the CDJ's from your laptop to use them?

Tech Guru

I really don't mean to be rude, but I don't think you're ready to play at clubs yet, you should do some research.

To answer your questions:
    There are videos on youtube which show how to set up HID. I have used neither HID, nor timecode, but I've read that HID feels better.
    If you've done any changes to the club set up, it's your responsibility to clean up after yourself. Similarly, if need the set up change, you need to do it yourself. That's just basic etiquette.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast