How much do you think is reasonable???
    Tech Mentor

Default How much do you think is reasonable???

G'day DJTT. first off I searched on here and google.
    what I'm wondering is I'm playing my first paid gig this saturday and was wondering how much I should charge.
    It's a friend of my girlfriends 18th it's a "tie and tiara party" so I'm guessing it wont be trashy. I live in a relatively small town but we do have a few DJ's getting about.
    So she said she'll provide the speakers which is alright, but what I'm wondering is how much I should charge??? I'm pretty alright at mixing and can play for hours. I'm 17 and I don't wanna shit off any DJ's in my region by putting my rate at like $25. So basically would I be reasonable expecting $50 and hour or am I dreaming. thanks DJTT (sorry if that seemed a little long winded)
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Think this is a 'locals only' question (I've had a similar thing recently - I know how much to charge when I play in Bristol, but I'm playing in London this weekend, and I had no idea where to pitch myself)

We got any Aussies in the house (or at least people who'll admit to being Australians even after their team got stuffed by Ireland ... :P )
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Hay mate I think if your doing this gig for a friend you shouldn't tick any local djs off no matter what you charge. It all comes down to weather or not they are willing to fork out $50 an hour over 4 or 5 hours, that's a fair bit of cash.
    Personally I'd go with a carton of beer cos to wash away the world cup blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    We got any Aussies in the house (or at least people who'll admit to being Australians even after their team got stuffed by Ireland ... :P )
    Watch your mouth ohms........

Really, it depends what you're friend is willing to pay. When I charge, I usually only charge aquaintinces (not friends) and then on a per night basis, (but bigger night, bigger fee.)

Just keep in mind that this is also an exercise in promotion for yourself, so if you do well, you migh have others asking for you to play for their parties - with $$$ to follow....

Maybe $50 for the night, seeing as you're mates?
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Tech Mentor

Thanks guys for the replies I'll just ask for $50 (p.s. She's not my friend she's a friend of my girlfriends)

Tech Wizard

$50 sounds reasonable. I'm also 17 and aussie, working as a mobile DJ and average around 60 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    Think this is a 'locals only' question (I've had a similar thing recently - I know how much to charge when I play in Bristol, but I'm playing in London this weekend, and I had no idea where to pitch myself)

Lol yeah man, they got an ass woopen. They just couldn't keep up with Ireland. Yeah but I am in Australia, and, if it's for a friend you shouldnt worry about under cutting other local djs. Like if it wasn't for u were they gonna hire a dj ?

Tech Mentor

the gig fell through. it was meant to be for last saturday and she cancels on the thursday, pain in the ass.