Great Idea: DJTT Private Torrent/DL Community - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Drix View Post
    I think it's a good idea and although illegal, I'm not sure if I support the "money out of the pocket of the artists" statement. Who's making these tracks famous, and get them into charts and compilations? DJ's. So who would benifit of having their songs played even more by DJs? Artists.

This is strickly for DJs though.. consumers should definately pay for their music, or the industry wouldn't go around.
    you do realize that the consumers you talk about are the djs who play them out. who buys high quality full length dance tracks to listening? people who arent djs go out and buy the radio edits on itunes, not full on club mixes on BP or the like.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    Well i think youve all well and truly made this guy feel stoopid as he's not been back to say anythin.
    He/ she should feel more than just stupid. Not that it matters though, cause Im sure there's quite a few folks on this forum that feel its a good idea. Probably pm'ing about it as we speak.

Just a suggestion to all those that claim to be djs: if the music is worth playing, its worth buying. Stop being a bunch of tightwads.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by usdm View Post
    Just a suggestion to all those that claim to be djs: if the music is worth playing, its worth buying. Stop being a bunch of tightwads.
    I like this guy..!

Quote Originally Posted by usdm View Post
    He/ she should feel more than just stupid.
    I think thats a bit over the top of a statement to make, the dude is just trying to be helpful to the community by suggesting something - then you just jump on him and makes him feel unwelcome.

Do i need to mention up that making statements like this is actually against the rules?

If you think its a bad idea because of X reason, then do it in a mature fashion... don't break out in immature name calling.

I for one actually welcome discussions such as this and thank the opening poster for trying to contribute to the community by posting his idea, whether it be a good idea or not for DJTT. At least he is trying to contribute something and for that he has my thanks - so if your reading this DJ V1ckz, don't feel you need to run away because some people do not agree with your idea and the very small minority resulting to some name calling.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 10-21-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Tech Guru

Actually in many European countries its legit (in the legal sense) to exchange music with friends and family. Now the definition of what constitutes a friend in todays virtual communities becomes tricky. Then again especially ideas like the recent DJTT meet up moves things a bit more towards the physical world again.

Furthermore I am no lawyer, but I wonder how it all plays out if you buy the music legit and still use someone elses files because they have all the meta data setup for you.

To conclude the idea itself isnt so crazy and amoral as you all make it out to be. But I do agree that just providing a dark net for people to upload all their music to anyone willing to sign up to the DJTT forums isnt what we should be pondering about.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Fair use in the US, as far as I know, allows you to share music with people directly. They aren't going after people for burning a mix for their buddies, they are going after people who are sharing it to the masses.

I don't think this would not be fair use, even as an invite only community, but I am also not a lawyer. Now, if you were to all be sitting around a room and sharing your new favorite songs face to face, that might qualify as fair use.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

i see where you guys think this would be a good idea, I think were better sharing playlist and showing youtube links of tracks that we digg. Also the mixes that we post help to share some gems with other dj's but to straight up and trade tracks is not cool esp if its on a shared site and torrents are involved....just my 2 pesos.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Maybe this would make sense if the music was not in print, or on sale anymore, and records that were available legally were immediately pulled off the site.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    the way i see it is that not only does the OP want free music... he/she doesnt want to spend time finding the good tunes and doing the hard work setting up the gridding etc themselves....

LAZY THIEF

no doubt... this forum has become overrun with guys too lazy to be bothered with practice, digging and reading who think they can rely on djtt for a shortcut to their narcissistic rockstar fantasy.

bigs ups for saying it how it is man.

Tech Wizard

Default Daaaaaaaaaamn

A ton of you weighed in on this... Don't take my non-response as cowardly, I just had midterms this week this is the first time I've been on the computer. Its not that I don't want to do the hard work to find a good song, or that I'm unwilling to buy a song I just have to have but can't find anywhere. It's that a private file sharing network would just be an awesome resource. I get most of my music from doing a quick elbo.ws search, and have a few blogs I check regularly that are pretty snobby about audio quality, having club versions, etc., so its kind of rude to assume just because I wanted to make our lives easier I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. While this isn't that feasible, I just think it's a dope idea, and if it were accomplished on a small scale would be mostly under the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    no doubt... this forum has become overrun with guys too lazy to be bothered with practice, digging and reading who think they can rely on djtt for a shortcut to their narcissistic rockstar fantasy.

bigs ups for saying it how it is man.
    Maybe this forum is being overrun by arrogant douche-bags like you who judge the skills of people they haven't even met/listened to. No, I'm not a lazy narcissist who wants to use DJTT as a shortcut to my "DJ Hero" fantasy. I'm a DJ who is extremely passionate about dance music, and is slowly but surely becoming pretty damn good at mixing. It's not that I'm unwilling to dig, most of the songs I DJ with were either downloaded from a mediafire/rapidshare situation or from beatport. Before calling me a narcissist look in the mirror asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    I think thats a bit over the top of a statement to make, the dude is just trying to be helpful to the community by suggesting something - then you just jump on him and makes him feel unwelcome.

Do i need to mention up that making statements like this is actually against the rules?

If you think its a bad idea because of X reason, then do it in a mature fashion... don't break out in immature name calling.

I for one actually welcome discussions such as this and thank the opening poster for trying to contribute to the community by posting his idea, whether it be a good idea or not for DJTT. At least he is trying to contribute something and for that he has my thanks - so if your reading this DJ V1ckz, don't feel you need to run away because some people do not agree with your idea and the very small minority resulting to some name calling.
    Thanks Bento!
    Last edited by DJ V1ckz; 10-22-2009 at 03:28 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast