Tips On Cleaning Out Music Library?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tips On Cleaning Out Music Library?

Hey, I'm faced with the tough task of cleaning out my music library... I know its a broad question but does anyone have any tips as to where to start or what programs to use?

Some issues my library faces:
    -multiple copies of the same track (whether it be duplicate downloads, or just same song from a diff compilation)
    -old tracks you know youre never going to play anymore (any way to sort # of plays via traktor or even itunes?)
    -downloads are all over my Macbook HD. Some in the downloads folder, some in the iTunes folder... id love to consolidate them all into one MUSIC place.

Thoughts/help?
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Two words of advice:

1. Stop downloading music. Doing this bloats your library with pure crap. When you buy your music you are much more selective.

2. Be ruthless in taking things out of your library.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Beatunes.

It won't help you with deleting tunes you don't like anymore, the only way to do that is to listen to each one and manually delete 'em. But it WILL help with multiple versions of the same track. It will even find tracks with similar sounding names (in case there are any typo's in the filenames) and allows you to keep or dump 'em.

I *think* iTunes keeps track of how many times you've played a track. If it does, a series of smart playlists can easily be created (Never played, played <5 times, played <10 timjes, etc...)

The only way to considate your music is by sticking 'em all in one folder. Isn't Finder on the MAc really good at this? (Find all files of type ".mp3", ",aiff", etc... and then move them to a singl efolder/library). I don't know how this will effect your Traktor Library, though...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

How many tunes are you guys buying that this actually a problem? I would never get rid of anything I bought.

don't know how many songs you have. I do clean up every duple of months.
    I have a playlist in traktor I call for deletion.
    1. sort you library alphabetically but title then scroll through it an listen to all that have 2 or more of the same song. If I have several remixes of the same song I only keep the once I most likely will be playing. add all that you like to delete to to the deletion playlist.
    2. now go through all the rest of the songs. If you have lots of songs go through A-B today then C-D tomorrow. It will take some time but you get through it in a week or 2 and at the same time you will listen to all your songs and could find some forgotten songs you like to play again.

No when finished you go into the deletion playlist and select all the choose to delete from collection I also click the box for deleting from hard drive.
    I have joined 2 DJ pools and download the songs I think I might like run them all through Platinum note, Miked in key then Metabliss. In Metabliss I remove all (clean) (Dirty) and unwanted tags even all genre tags. import them into Cross (Witch is the software I use now) listen to them again and add genre I think they should have and now I delete those I don't think are that cool after all.

When I go digging on other places I only buy if I'm sure I like it and am going to use the song.
    Took me a while to get this system but now and I only download maybe 10 songs a day now and out of them I only keep 5 or less.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Quote Originally Posted by b1sh0p View Post
    How many tunes are you guys buying that this actually a problem? I would never get rid of anything I bought.
    If you're in a record pool this can become a problem. In fact this is why I left my pool. Some days when you're 1. bored or 2. itching for new tunes you just end up downloading crap.
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

Tech Mentor

In cleaning out your library, you have to be ruthless as keithace mentioned...however, I find that it really depends on why you are doing so as well as what type of dj you are. If you are a bedroom dj, you may not need to be as organized in tagging, organizing your collection. Now, if you are a mobile dj, the bigger and most vast of a selection you have, the stronger you are as a dj. This of course still means nothing if you cannot find what you have. To me, I tag everything to a tee. I retag, reformat the mp3, install the album art, and rate the track...I can go on and on about my specific technique. However, you must do what works for you! A rule of thumb is when thinking of a song you want to buy, download, and add to your collection is this..."would you PAY to KEEP this song in your library?" That is also assuming that you actually PAY for your music! Don't just add and add songs into your library just because you have the ability to, but think of your hard drive as your garage (where you may have held your entire record/vinyl collection in the past) where you have limited space and energy to store your records. As a dj, this is what separates each of us from each other. I am constantly removing songs that I KNOW will never get any play time from me. Why just keep something if it takes up space? DJ'ing is about having good, unique music. I would start off by cleaning out whatever you don't need, and music that will never even get loaded into one of your virtual decks...makes you much more efficient as a dj and makes for a better set. Removing doubles of songs can only take you so far!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eugguy View Post
    In cleaning out your library, you have to be ruthless as keithace mentioned...however, I find that it really depends on why you are doing so as well as what type of dj you are. If you are a bedroom dj, you may not need to be as organized in tagging, organizing your collection. Now, if you are a mobile dj, the bigger and most vast of a selection you have, the stronger you are as a dj. This of course still means nothing if you cannot find what you have. To me, I tag everything to a tee. I retag, reformat the mp3, install the album art, and rate the track...I can go on and on about my specific technique. However, you must do what works for you! A rule of thumb is when thinking of a song you want to buy, download, and add to your collection is this..."would you PAY to KEEP this song in your library?" That is also assuming that you actually PAY for your music! Don't just add and add songs into your library just because you have the ability to, but think of your hard drive as your garage (where you may have held your entire record/vinyl collection in the past) where you have limited space and energy to store your records. As a dj, this is what separates each of us from each other. I am constantly removing songs that I KNOW will never get any play time from me. Why just keep something if it takes up space? DJ'ing is about having good, unique music. I would start off by cleaning out whatever you don't need, and music that will never even get loaded into one of your virtual decks...makes you much more efficient as a dj and makes for a better set. Removing doubles of songs can only take you so far!!!
    yes yes and yes...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Backup everything off to an external drive.

Then delete it all.

Then when you really want a track add it in.

format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast