Kontrol S8 vs Xone DB4/K2 - Reliability
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Kontrol S8 vs Xone DB4/K2 - Reliability

Keeping aside the huge price difference and of course the superior sound of the Xone DB4, which of these two units are more reliable considering they are both digital, have internal soundcards, might have driver issues etc.

The S8 is more compact but i am concerned about the screens because the screen on my Maschine Mk2 died pretty early.

The DB4 looks awesome, one cable to MacBook, X link to K2.....2 power cables.

Currently i run a TA10 and USB cable to MBP, 4 RCA cables to Xone 92, USB hub and 3 USB cables to 2 X1's and 1 F1.......TA10, X92, MBP and USB hub require power sources.....

I want a more plug n play solution, but cannot compromise on rock solid reliability.
    What do you advise ?

Thanks
    Faisal

I think in this case reliability depends on the software side of things, not hardware.
    Of course, S8 is no where near the build quality of a even decent real mixer like Denon, let alone a Xone one. Consider that modular concept is easier to replace, modify etc (K2 have a problem with newest OSX? use X1 instead.)

But also, a full 4ch mixer is NOT a portable solution.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

Well i am used to my Xone 92, sound card, laptop and X1's/F1......looking for something which will make setup and pack up faster.
    But again, reliability can not be compromised.....

Tech Mentor

...right so the Xone forums are full of complaints about the Xone DB4.
    Cant imagine spending that much cash on something with issues.....

Quote Originally Posted by nynemusic View Post
    ...right so the Xone forums are full of complaints about the Xone DB4.
    Cant imagine spending that much cash on something with issues.....
    OEM forums are always full of complaints, that doesn't mean shit.

Tech Mentor

How reliable is your current set up?
    An alternate solution is to keep what you have, and put everything in a case. Either pre-made or custom.
    Mount the usb hubs and sound card into the case and wire it up before hand. Then, the only cables you have to hook up are the usb and main outs.
    I do this with a kontrol s2 I bring to smaller gigs with no sound system. Usb hub, external drive, and power strip are held with Velcro under the s2 in a case. All I hook up is the power, main outs, laptop, and external controllers via USB.
    Not as clean as 3 cables with a db4, but will cut down some of your work if you really like your current setup.

Id say there is no way the DB4 (which is rumoured to have soundcard issues galore) could compare to an NI built S8 for Traktor usage in terms of support etc. The only thing I could imagine being an issue would be the physical build quality not being exactly what you're used to with a 92 and A10... Sound quality I expect to be the same, if not better / more transparent. An S8 basically has an A10 built into it.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Id say there is no way the DB4 could compare to an NI built S8 for Traktor usage in terms of support etc.
    That is true but still has no influence on overall reliability. How many times was NI product line crippled with a OSX update?

(which is rumoured to have soundcard issues galore)
    Yes, we all like rumors.

The only thing I could imagine being an issue would be the physical build quality not being exactly what you're used to with a 92 and A10... Sound quality I expect to be the same, if not better / more transparent. An S8 basically has an A10 built into it.
    Are you kiddin'? I'll just let others take it from here...i'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Are you kiddin'? I'll just let others take it from here...i'm out.
    Makes logical sense... An S8 will have a built in audio 10... how will putting that line signal through another mixer "upscale" the sound quality? It won't... a xone 92 being analogue will add some "nice" colour but it won't make it "better quality". The DB4 is just a digital soundcard output too... same as my DJM900...

Trust me, i'm making a simple point. The S8 will sound as good as the DB4, i defy even the most ott audiophile to take the pepsi challenge there.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

I did try making a case with everything patched already.....but it became too big and cumbersome.
    I wont get into the Xone vs TA10 debate. I have used the Xone 92 and Xone DB4, and own a TA10 and have gigged with an S4. The Xones are way ahead. I mean no offence, at least to my ears, its not a contest.

The other thing going for the DB4 is how it can be put to use in the studio as well, running stuff through its effects etc.
    Am gonna start a Xone DB4 reliability thread as i am leaning more towards that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast