how to copy and paste in ableton
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how to copy and paste in ableton

I'm trying to make a mix in ableton arrangement view and I'd like to know how or if it is possible to copy a part of a clip and paste it elsewhere in the mix. sorry it's a stupid question but it's really frustrating because I have a good idea in my head what I want, but so far impotent as to carrying it out.

I had an apc but my ex decided not to return it, and I've left the country for the summer. anyway I'll make do with just a mouse and the software and obviously i've still no idea how to use it except for warping tracks.

you could highlight the notes in the clip editor thing, paste them into a new clip and then copy/paste the new clip in place?
    or crop the clip, drag the edges in from each side (in arrangement view) to center up on the part you want, same way you would extend a clip.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

thanks bradcee, but when i try to highlight something on the clip editor it just zooms in and out or scrolls. with what cursor/brace do i use to select a region?

Quote Originally Posted by lola View Post
    thanks bradcee, but when i try to highlight something on the clip editor it just zooms in and out or scrolls. with what cursor/brace do i use to select a region?
    not sure, very new to ableton, been using some of my lazier 'editing tricks' from other daws to find my way around while i ltry to 'master' it, lol.

pretty sure i managed to highlight the other day, clicked in the empty space near the part i wanted, and dragged from there, just had normal mouse cursor up... i think...

as you can select everything and duplicate it in a clip (very handy as i can't be arsed to draw a drum pattern twice, just so i can double the last snare of the last bar) i'm assuming you can select smaller sections and copy them.

hopefully bento will stumble across this....

SoundCloud

Hey Lola,

Shitty to hear that about your ex. Coming back to your problem of not knowing how to copy paste.

There are a few options you can go for:
    But here's the simple one.
    - make sure you see the wave form in the arrangement editor.
    - just select the part you want from the clip
    - push cmd + C (or ctrl + c if you're on windows)
    - select where you'd like to paste the selected part of the clip
    - push cmd + v (or ctrl + v if you're on windows)
    - if you want to keep pasting multiple times, just keep hitting cmd + d (or ctrl+ d). This will duplicate time and time again.

Make sure you're selecting on the waveform itself, and not on the part where the mouse icon turns into the magnifying glass, as this will zoom in and out.

Hope this helps?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Sure, just click on the spot in the clip where you want your sample to start, this gives the little orange line. Then right click, select "Split", then do the same thing where you want the sample to stop. And you can copy it, paste it, drag and drop, and chop it up. Hope this is helpful.

... or do what tekki said.
    ... or make a full copy and crop it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upDrew View Post
    Sure, just click on the spot in the clip where you want your sample to start, this gives the little orange line. Then right click, select "Split", then do the same thing where you want the sample to stop. And you can copy it, paste it, drag and drop, and chop it up. Hope this is helpful.

... or do what tekki said.
    ... or make a full copy and crop it down.
    i couldn't spot the split option the other day...

should've gone to specsavers

SoundCloud

hold down ctrl, and drag n drop the clip into a new slot.

Now set the start and stop markers, right click on the wavform and press crop sample.

Now drop that into the arangement window wherever you would like.

Thats how i would do it anyway, there is always more then one way to skin a cat in Ableton.

Tech Mentor

Can you not copy and paste your ex as well, i'm sure there's a keyboard shortcut for that....

Cheers
    D

Sure that's CMD+win+ALT+ESC. :')
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast