Residency in Ibiza up for grabs...
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Residency in Ibiza up for grabs...

So here's the thing:

After a year of looking for a new owner, Moby Dick's Ibiza has been bought, and unfortunately since I've just signed a contract for another year at my present residency, unfortunately I can't do it. So, they're looking for a new DJ!

Moby Dick's has been a bit of an Ibicencan institution for nearly 30 years, and there's been a good few of the island's big names cut their teeth on the decks in that wee bar, including DJ Gee (Bora Bora) and Graham Sahara (Current Pacha Funky Room resident, this year nominated for 3 DeeJay Mag awards).

I myself was resident there from 2004-2006, and have no hesitation in saying those were 2 of the best years of my life.

I'm not going to bullsh*t anyone, there's downsides - it's long hours (7pm-4am, 7 nights a week), and the pay isn't amazing BUT the benefits far outweigh them:

• You get to live in Ibiza - the bar is a 10 min walk from Space and a fiver in a taxi to Pacha (and 1 min walk from the beach, if you like that kind of thing ). If you're on the ball, getting workers passes for the big clubs is not an issue.
    • Definitely good to have on your DJ CV
    • Ibiza is very much a 'who you know, not how good you are' place when it comes to getting gigs. If you want to get your foot in the door for some bigger gigs on the island, Moby's is a good place to start.
    • I've had some wild times playing down at Moby's, and anyone who's been there will tell you the same thing.
    • You couldn't ask for a better boss, seriously, Jim is a leg end.
    • Err. Free drugs, anyone?

So here's what they're after:

• A good, wide-ranging music collection - the first 3 hours of the shift are pretty quiet, so there's no problem with sticking cruise mode on with a playlist full of old soul, rock, funk, a few current charties... you know the score.
    • After 10, get on the decks, same kinda deal, but mash it up a bit, start getting more dancy.
    • After 12, it's House, House, House. Emphasis on funky feelgood, oldskool, and piano house. A wee scattering of electro is acceptable, but strictly NO minimal.
    • Getting the job means you're part of the Moby's family, which means you've got to be a bit of a personality in your own right, and be as good with the punters as you are with the music.
    • Ability to work and party on no sleep for 6 months a bonus.
    • Anyone from the EU can easily get a visa to work in spain. If you're from the States and already have a valid visa to work in spain, you're also welcome to apply.

If any of that madness sounds appealing to you, and you fancy taking 6 months out of your life that you'll never remember, only that they were 'Amazing... like spiritual, man...', send me a brief CV to rufuswhite at gmail dot com, and a mix no longer than 60 minutes to my SoundCloud dropbox. Just the House you'd play after 12pm is fine.

Good luck!

Fus

If only this deal had come by 10 to 15 years ago.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by RufusWhite View Post
    ...[*]Anyone from the EU can easily get a visa to work in spain. If you're from the States and already have a valid visa to work in spain, you're also welcome to apply. [/LIST]
    if you are frome th EU, you don't need a visa to work, as far as I know.. just my 2 cents. sound pretty interessting your offer, but nothing for me.. i'm still to bad as a dj i guess

i'm in spain right now and try to pass ba ibiza at least once before summer..

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    If only this deal had come by 10 to 15 years ago.
    Is EXACTLY what i said when i read this at NI.

This is an Awesome opportunity for a guy with no hard ties to his current life.
    If i was a DJ with a regular job looking to go Pro id sack the job off and do it.
    With Rufus's connections this is bound to be the Summer of your life.

It would be great if an NI or DJTT DJ got this job.

Well done Fus for bringing this to the community !!!

Hear Hear!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

Damn I am a student and would love to do this, unfortunately I could think of applying now because of my school commitments, but might love to be in this spot in a few years. I have a question though, since the gig would be 7 days a week for 9 hours, I feel like I would exhaust all my music very quickly. That is a ridiculous amount of music, as that would be 63 hours of music dj'd a week, right now I am maybe around 20-27 just through regular practice. When you get to doing that much time I guess you get lots of chances to play everything new and hear lots of new music while playing it, or do you play a lot of the same?

Hmmm. Maybe I will send you that mix, even though I promised my parents I was going to go back to school this summer and to stop interning full time, who knows right?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Banned

Perfect timing indeed! The club I was playing at just changed owners and their going with a different musical format so I've just been playing gigs here and there.

Definitely going to give this a shot.

Yeah its a lot of music but remember most people are in the bar once maybe twice in their 1 or 2 week stay. You dont need 63 'different hours' of music a week. As long as you get all the 'in demand' releases (and im sure getting music isnt a problem) and you find the odd suprise here and there you set isnt gonna change that much.

An hour or so a day re-doing your set and looking through the History to see what worked the night before can make your set fresh again.

And lets be honest, who hasnt been lazy (high street clubs) and just loaded up the previous nites set and worked around that .
    Requests are gonna make a huge part of the bar set as well.

Wouldnt be so bad.

Frickin Beach, Women(or men if you like), and other distractions will be plenty to keep you happy..!

F*ck School . Go to Ibiza.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    F*ck School . Go to Ibiza.
    Word, I will send a mix in the next couple days, want to put together a nice house mix for you Rufus. I am doing more electro atm because that is hot, but house is my 1st love. Is there a timing on when you want the mix by?

Ed. Did leave the world behind you start playing in anyone else's head?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Quote Originally Posted by RufusWhite View Post
    strictly NO minimal.
    i love that. Dont get me wrong i love some minimal BUT
    when im on holiday with my shorts flipflops on with a large cold drink
    i wants to get funky !!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast