Looking to get back into dj'ing again - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

get a controller, don't get stuck with old technology. I ha a set of cdj 1000 mk3 and sold them about a month ago and moved to a digital set up. controllers are the future!
    S4+3D=FUN

Firstly, rekordbox isn't a software you use while DJing. It's just an app that allows you to edit your cue points from your computer. Once all your cues and playlists are ready, you export it on a USB, and you use the USB on the Pioneer without a computer. All playlists and cues and whatever will be ready to go.

I've experienced lagging with Traktor also and stopped using it. On Saturday I will use Serato for the first time. To use Serato, it's a free software but you will need to purchase Rane SL2, SL3 or SL4 to be able to connect your CDJs. It's the only way serato will read CDJs. There are controls that allow you to use Serato without Rane SL, it will work just by connecting the controller to your laptop and downloading Serato DJ for free. (not sure exactly which controllers do that, if you're interested you can find out on Serato's site, I'm sure)

The newer CDJs are wav, aiff, mp3 compatible. But if it's for home use I'd just stick to mp3. I find waveforms are very useful, but only the CDJ 900 nexus, CDJ 2000 and CDJ 2000 nexus have a nice waveform. CDJ 850 have a "waveform"....but I wouldn't really call it a waveform. It's horrible lol. For effects, what I look for is; a mixer that I can control effects manually and with a knob on each channel. (DJM800, DJM850, DJM900, DJM900nxs, DJM2000, DJM2000nxs)

I just prefer having the flexibility to use USBs or laptop whenever I choose, that's why I use CDJs and DJM.
    Last edited by robbyluca; 05-04-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    Firstly, rekordbox isn't a software you use while DJing. It's just an app that allows you to edit your cue points from your computer. Once all your cues and playlists are ready, you export it on a USB, and you use the USB on the Pioneer without a computer. All playlists and cues and whatever will be ready to go.

I've experienced lagging with Traktor also and stopped using it. On Saturday I will use Serato for the first time. To use Serato, it's a free software but you will need to purchase Rane SL2, SL3 or SL4 to be able to connect your CDJs. It's the only way serato will read CDJs. There are controls that allow you to use Serato without Rane SL, it will work just by connecting the controller to your laptop and downloading Serato DJ for free. (not sure exactly which controllers do that, if you're interested you can find out on Serato's site, I'm sure)

The newer CDJs are wav, aiff, mp3 compatible. But if it's for home use I'd just stick to mp3. I find waveforms are very useful, but only the CDJ 900 nexus, CDJ 2000 and CDJ 2000 nexus have a nice waveform. CDJ 850 have a "waveform"....but I wouldn't really call it a waveform. It's horrible lol. For effects, what I look for is; a mixer that I can control effects manually and with a knob on each channel. (DJM800, DJM850, DJM900, DJM900nxs, DJM2000, DJM2000nxs)

I just prefer having the flexibility to use USBs or laptop whenever I choose, that's why I use CDJs and DJM.
    I just said to heck with the debating and just found a very reasonable deal on a cdj-400 and djm-400 setup by a bedroom dj who tried a few times but never stuck with it. Very pristine equipment, basically brand new. So I just spent the last few hours having a blast. I did not realize how inexpensive these little units have gotten and was wondering now if adding one or two more would benefit? Probably for trance or some house I'd suspect 3 would be fine. Course then I'd have to upgrade the mixer or use the mic input as a 3rd input. Either way I'm happy as all getout again! Cheers!

Tech Guru

With trance/house, I can't really see a benefit in having more than 3 CDJs. Honestly, you could probably get away with 2 quite comfortably.

CDJs are so much more fun than controllers. Moved from controllers to CDJs recently, and I actually really enjoy mixing again. Using a CDJ2000 and a CDJ1000MK3.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    With trance/house, I can't really see a benefit in having more than 3 CDJs. Honestly, you could probably get away with 2 quite comfortably.

CDJs are so much more fun than controllers. Moved from controllers to CDJs recently, and I actually really enjoy mixing again. Using a CDJ2000 and a CDJ1000MK3.
    Only thing I've noticed and since it's been some time since I've had these, was that when I'm either >> or << to a track then turn the jog back there's a bit of a delay or pause or audio stoppage. Almost as if the buffer is immediately run out and can't catch up.

Probably is a thing of the past now with controllers and the newer CDJ's but it did get me going

Tech Guru

I'll be honest, I can't tell what's going on :P

Maybe it's just the CD you're running?
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

I'll be honest, I can't tell what's going on :P

Maybe it's just the CD you're running?
    My fault, terrible video and I did not narrate the video. Basically I would search a song the use the jog in vinyl mode to rewind after I released the >> or << and the audio would stop playing for a sec while I was spinning the jog backwards then start up again. MP3 is worse but I have stuck to cd's.

Tech Guru

Wait, now that I'm listening with headphones on and can really hear what's going on, I don't see what's wrong?

Are you talking about like the millisecond pause between releasing on the track search and the audio? Or are you talking about when your hand is on the platter?

edit: Oh jk. I see it now. Although I suppose it's not all too big of an issue, more of an annoyance. I don't believe I have that issue with my CDJs, but I don't think I've ever tried to manipulate the jog right after track searching.

Wait, now that I'm listening with headphones on and can really hear what's going on, I don't see what's wrong?

Are you talking about like the millisecond pause between releasing on the track search and the audio? Or are you talking about when your hand is on the platter?

edit: Oh jk. I see it now. Although I suppose it's not all too big of an issue, more of an annoyance. I don't believe I have that issue with my CDJs, but I don't think I've ever tried to manipulate the jog right after track searching.
    That's what I was thinking and both units do the same behavior so I'm leaning toward it just being some sort of glitch. Frankly I don't know what was going on through my head when I did it but I was track searching and ran out of time, >>'d and just missed a drop and quickly rewinded but then I got that quick second of pause. Course this is all amplified because I just purchased these again and they're not brand spanking new like my old cdj-400's were before I sold them. First time actually buying used gear. Call me overly picky I guess.

I would say a good choice going with that equipment. Good for a home setup. Cheap, easy to setup, and fun to use. Simple! If I were to upgrade eventually, I would start with the mixer. I used to have the DJM400, but I absolutely need an effect knob for each channel, that I can manually control the effect. That's just me.

Maybe the firmware of the equipment needs to be updated. Check which firmware you have on them, and check what the latest update is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast