DJ with Dell Mini??

Default DJ with Dell Mini??

i currently own a Dell Inspiron Mini 10, i know that you can dj with it but i want to know if it is stable and wont exit or shut down or something if im djing at a party. also what would be the best software to run on it like virtualdj or traktor or somethin?
    LINK:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-mini-10-Notebook/dp/B0019W1L1K/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327461689 &sr=1-3-spell"]Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron mini 10 Notebook: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FurslzyeL.@@AMEPARAM@@31FurslzyeL[/ame]

also what woul be a good midi controller for it? Price range($450-$525 MAX)
    Last edited by DjBreezy; 01-24-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    Just A Biginner...But when my dubstep drops you balls will too
    youtube.com/officialdjbreezy

Atom N280 is WAY underpowered for any DJ related thing. Maybe good enough for 2 instances of foobar but not much.

1G of ram is 40-50% of what Win 7 Starter need in idle mode...
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    Atom N280 is WAY underpowered for any DJ related thing. Maybe good enough for 2 instances of foobar but not much.

1G of ram is 40-50% of what Win 7 Starter need in idle mode...
    yes but ive seen people dj off of these. and im not using a huge pro controller just a midi. like the hercules rmx
    Just A Biginner...But when my dubstep drops you balls will too
    youtube.com/officialdjbreezy

Why do you think each software list their minimum requirement?

The controller don't need anything powerful consider it like a mouse or usb keyboard.

The trick with netbooks is to always use older software versions that have lower system requirements.

I have an old EeePC netbook (900mhz celeron, 1 gig ram, Win XP) that I use as backup.

I've had no problems running Torq 1.5 with both timecode and effects, Ableton Live 6/7 and Traktor Pro with various midi controllers.

You just have to make sure to do all your file importing/analysis before the gig.

And yes...Win 7 does use more memory than XP, but you can easily get a 2gb stick of RAM off Amazon for $15-20. That should be enough to run basic DJ software. I would also make sure to optimize the netbook for audio by turning off all the Win 7 visual effects and eye candy, disabling WIFI, HD indexing, etc. There are plenty of guides on the net about that stuff.

As far as controllers..the best "bang for the buck" IMHO is the Numark Mixtrack.

If you already have some sort of external soundcard you can't beat $120.
    Last edited by coolout; 01-26-2012 at 12:27 AM.
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com

i have a backup eeepc 1005pe 2 gb ddr3 ram, 1.66ghz overclocked to 2.11ghz with set fsb, it has no problem with anything vdj pro 7.05 throws at is accept using a vst equalizer (which is a cpu whore) when running timecodes as it cant process the fluctuating pitch, the internal eq though is fine, it just sounds crappy.. everything else runs perfecty after the tracks load although that takes about twice as long as normal,

I always have it running just in case something happens at a gig. then if necessary I can just plug the soundcard in and controller if i am using one and continue, for $250 it's a great insurance policy
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Your EeePC work because it's an N450... not N280.

Yes I have Traktor 2 running on my EeePC too, no problem whatsoever, perfect backup, and I do my internet broadcast with. but at least it's an N450.... and 2Gigs of RAM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

My Lenovo s10 had almost the same config as the Dell Mini, (lower n270 processor) and it ran Traktor pro 1.2 with 4 decks / FX and Keylock fine on XP AND OSX with my Hercules RMX and Nanokontrol at the time.

I'd upgraded the Ram to 2gb, and installed a streamlined copy of XP

My EEE Celeron 900 had no issues in XP either with 2gb

If you want to run DJ software on a netbook, downgrade to XP, spend some time streamlining the install, it'll work, windows 7 is a hog on memory and CPU.

You could always use Mixxx (free) which ran perfectly as well.

I would not be trying Traktor 2 though.

Controller wise, you can pick up an Xponent these days for $200 and they feel nicer than a mix track pro IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    My Lenovo s10 had almost the same config as the Dell Mini, (lower n270 processor) and it ran Traktor pro 1.2 with 4 decks / FX and Keylock fine on XP AND OSX with my Hercules RMX and Nanokontrol at the time.

I'd upgraded the Ram to 2gb, and installed a streamlined copy of XP

My EEE Celeron 900 had no issues in XP either with 2gb

If you want to run DJ software on a netbook, downgrade to XP, spend some time streamlining the install, it'll work, windows 7 is a hog on memory and CPU.

You could always use Mixxx (free) which ran perfectly as well.

I would not be trying Traktor 2 though.

Controller wise, you can pick up an Xponent these days for $200 and they feel nicer than a mix track pro IMHO.
    I agree the Xponent has better feeling buttons (they're rubber vs mixtrack's plastic), plus the little light show that it does, but the Mixtrack has much better jog wheels for scratching. This is coming from someone that uses turntables every weekend. Still...$229 for an new Xponent is a steal really.

Man...I completely forgot about Mixxx. It also works fine on my netbook with timecode. I think the next time I play with friends that use Serato I'm going to bring my EeePC and use Mixxx with their serato control record just to freak them out: "Not only is my computer almost the same size of your Serato box. The computer and audio interface actually cost LESS than what you paid JUST for the interface."

[insert maniacal evil laugh]

Netbooks are such a great product. If the manufactures had only found ways to improve the battery life to Ipad standards and Microsoft created an netbook optimized version of windows (instead of shoehorning Win 7) they would still be the rage. My netbook is at least 3 years old and still smokes tablets (android or the ipad) in terms of real usability in my opinion. Why use limited app versions of stuff when my little guy can run real windows applications?
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com