Z2 vs S4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z2 vs S4

Default Z2 vs S4

I've been watching a few videos on the Z2 lately, and with me using my Technics all the time these days I have to say I'm tempted to swap my S4 for one. Has anyone else swapped their S4 for the Z2, if you have.Was you glad you did or did you regret it? I dont really play out doing giggs no more so that shouldn't be a problem not having the controller
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
    I've been watching a few videos on the Z2 lately, and with me using my Technics all the time these days I have to say I'm tempted to swap my S4 for one. Has anyone else swapped their S4 for the Z2, if you have.Was you glad you did or did you regret it? I dont really play out doing giggs no more so that shouldn't be a problem not having the controller
    I've only used one VERY briefly, but in my opinion its one of the best pieces of kit out there, and THE best for vinyl DVS. It's no secret I'm a big fan of Traktor's internal mixing, and the Z2 (and the Z1 for that matter) is an ALMOST perfect control surface for it. The only way it could be improved, imo, is with a 4 channel version.

The one thing I will say, however, is that if you DO get a Z2, I'd add an X1 MK2 as well. That'll give you access to all 3 FX knobs (not just the 1 macro FX knob on the Z2), 8 cuepoints per deck without switching pages (4 on the Z2, 4 on the X1), separate loop/move encoders, and a toggle button for the filter (much more accurate than re-centering the knob with a flick - it's VERY easy to over or undershoot and leave the filter on.

The S4 is okay, but the jogwheels are superfluous with TTs and it's basically a giant slab of (ridiculously light) plastic. The Z2 is chunkier and feels more robust, plus even with an addition Z2 its still more compact than an S4.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

...but the S4 is also the best of both worlds. You can use it with turntables with no need for an extra X1/F1 and you can use it as an all in one for gigs where decks are not available.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    The one thing I will say, however, is that if you DO get a Z2, I'd add an X1 MK2 as well. That'll give you access to all 3 FX knobs (not just the 1 macro FX knob on the Z2), 8 cuepoints per deck without switching pages (4 on the Z2, 4 on the X1), separate loop/move encoders, and a toggle button for the filter (much more accurate than re-centering the knob with a flick - it's VERY easy to over or undershoot and leave the filter on.
    If you buy an X1 too you may as well get a decent mixer made to last, rather than the plastic (just like the S4) Z2. The faceplate will get scratched up, markings will last maybe a few months, and the plastic pots will start to wear out soon after that.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Lots of pro dj equipment uses plastic pots and if you're putting that much strain on your knobs with normal use you need to tone it down. The only downside I see is traveling which is a non-issue if you carry it in an appropriate case. NI also replaces the faceplate with a less shiny/scratch prone faceplate for free. Additionally you can adjust the filters and eq knobs without affecting the output signal if you hold shift. Once you let it go the filter/eqs will instantly jump to the new position. This works in internal and external mode. - sincerely a Z2 owner
    Last edited by Kid Quest; 09-22-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Samsung Ativ Book 8 15.6” i7-3635QM | Z2 | F1 | X1 | A6 | 2 x Str8-150 | TMA-1 | TSP
    KRK Rockit Gen 2 6 | Focusrite Saffire 6 | Ableton Push | Alesis V49 | TMA-1 Studio | Ableton Live 9
    http://www.soundcloud.com/kid-quest

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    ...but the S4 is also the best of both worlds. You can use it with turntables with no need for an extra X1/F1 and you can use it as an all in one for gigs where decks are not available.
    This is it, if I was too swap and I got a gig I'd have nothing to play on unless I could take the z2 and my turntables.. Easy throwing the s4 and laptop into my magma back packams beoimg good to go, altho I've turned 2 gigs down this week for different reasons
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

If you get an x1 mk1 or 2 in addition to the z2 you could do a whole set without anything else. I plan on getting an x1 and a pelican case for my z2 for gigs where I can't use tt's or cdj's. Eventually I want to get a audio 6 too so I have a completely modular setup and can choose I how want to play my set in any given situation.
    Samsung Ativ Book 8 15.6” i7-3635QM | Z2 | F1 | X1 | A6 | 2 x Str8-150 | TMA-1 | TSP
    KRK Rockit Gen 2 6 | Focusrite Saffire 6 | Ableton Push | Alesis V49 | TMA-1 Studio | Ableton Live 9

I've been down the x1 route before, can't DJ just like that, need jog wheels or turn tables, thats why I got the s4

I use a Z2 paired with 2 midi fighters. Never looked back to any other set up, Ill be using these for a long while.
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

You could always look at a small modular platter controller like the Behringer CMD PL-1 or Denon SC2000. It seems like it comes down to you whether you want the feel of a real mixer vs a midi contoller. Personal preference really. If you at least want the option of being able to play out in the most convenient form factor with jogs, sticking with the s4 is probably your best bet.
    Last edited by Kid Quest; 09-22-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast