Should I Buy a Pair of Technics?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I Buy a Pair of Technics?

Before this becomes a full thread of yes you should there the only "real" turntable out there etc etc just read along.

Ok so when i first started with Scratch/Hiphop Djing, i got a pair of TT-200 Turntables. These things worked amazing at my house and my friend who is a technics guy even thought they were pretty good. Problem was the needle would slowly drift down the turntable, it was supposed to have a lock to stay in place but it would eventually hit the middle after 20 minutes. Also with these guys the counter weight was a little iffy and when i gigged with them twice the bass from my sub/speakers would make the needles bounce so much that it wouldnt read the track.

After this frustration i decided i wanted to move away from the needles/tone arm problems. So then i arrived at the Numark CDX's. I ended up buying a pair and loved the fact that the control CD did it all and i could just scratch and mix away on the vinyl top...... A year later I am still pretty happy with the CDX's besides the look and flipping the CD track back every 25minutes.

But recently friends of mine and some forum people have told me that buying technics would be the best investment for moving forward. First they said that the CDX's prices are dropping so holding onto them is a bad investment, Second they said Technics are consitantly staying the same price so its good to own a pair. And third im starting to Club Gig a little more and people are telling me that owning a pair of technics will make me sound smoother in the club since id be "used" to them.

Now these are all great things i have considered but i loved my CDX's and i dont want to have the problems i did with my first pair of tables. so my questions for you guys is what do you think i should do and also do technics still sometimes have these issues with drifiting tones arms and bouncing needles that wont read the track. Also do you think just spending some time and getting used to technics would be fine if i stick to my CDX's or the whole switch a good idea.

Sorry for such a long write up just want you to get an insight of my experiences.

I think i could sell my cdx's for $400 then get a pair of techs for $600 which wouldnt be bad but im just not sure yet!

If you can sell your CDX's for 400 and only have to invest 200 on a pair of 1200's, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

get the 12's, the resale value is insane!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    get the 12's, the resale value is insane!
    thanks for the input!

But what im curious of is can you answer the question of do the needles have problems bouncing? and does the tone arm drift or can you get all that perfectly set on a pair of technics?

Every Dj should have at least 1 pair!

but with your guys technics do you encounter any of these problems im talking about or has it been pretty much smoothe sailing?

Any downside to the technics?!

The only downside to technics is that you'll always want m5gs.

No, they don't stop the tonearm from hitting the spindle…the record label does that, though it damages the needles in the process. I have literally no idea why it would ever come up, though.

As for the feedback issue…I have never had it happen badly, but I use freefloats or tennis balls whenever I think it might be a problem. It shouldn't have been a problem on the TT-200s, either. I'm guessing you set up your tonearm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hayden14 View Post
    Any downside to the technics?!
    I've heard of cases where they've caused pretty severe addiction, leading the owner to buy more Technics. I believe we even may have some addicts here on the forum...
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

You ain't lying! I turn into this mother - fucker whenever there's a pair of 1200's around:

DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    The only downside to technics is that you'll always want m5gs.

No, they don't stop the tonearm from hitting the spindle…the record label does that, though it damages the needles in the process. I have literally no idea why it would ever come up, though.

As for the feedback issue…I have never had it happen badly, but I use freefloats or tennis balls whenever I think it might be a problem. It shouldn't have been a problem on the TT-200s, either. I'm guessing you set up your tonearm wrong.
    i agree with you on the setup.. sound like its off...but as for the 1200's...GET THEM GET THEM NOW... GOD WILL HATE YOU IF YOU DONT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast