Ableton Effects through xone:92 Aux-Channels (Send/Return)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Ableton Effects through xone:92 Aux-Channels (Send/Return)

Hey Guys

I just started out using Ableton Live mainly because of the effects as i have seen that they can be used on my xone:92 mixer via send/return (as shown in the how i play videos here on djtt with chris liebing or loco dice).

I really want to try this for a delay since it's the effect i use the most and having it right on the mixer would be lovely. my problem is i have no idea how to route it correctly. i use a audio 10 interface with four out-channels used for four decks in traktor, so i got one out-channel remaining.

I know i have to set up ableton to be synced with traktor etc but before i invest too much time into that i would like to know if and how it is possible to use ableton fx via xone:92.

and if that is not possible, anyone knows about a cheap but good analogue delay-unit?

thanks in advance

i am interested in how this works as well been thinkng of selling the db4 and buying a 92 .
    MBP 17 " , Allen & Heath Xone 92 , 2 X NI D2 , Midi Fighter Twister , MF3D , Maschine Mk2 , KRK RP6 G2 , Push , Technics 1210 mk2 , Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Young Guru

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Volpe View Post

and if that is not possible, anyone knows about a cheap but good analogue delay-unit?

thanks in advance
    I am thinking about buying a EHX delay. Here is the cheapest of the line, but still sweet
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MemoryToy/

They also have an echo box...
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1Echo/
    Last edited by muffintop; 12-01-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by muffintop View Post
    I am thinking about buying a EHX delay. Here is the cheapest of the line, but still sweet
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MemoryToy/

They also have an echo box...
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1Echo/

both arent good cause they are mono
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Mentor

routing the send / return through ableton will work for sure, you can see that Chries Liebing is actually doing it

I don't own a Xone 92 but in theory it should be simple:
    - Aux send into Audio 10 input -> in Ableton route this channel into the effect unit
    - Audio 10 output into Aux return -> route the effect output from Ableton to this channel

with the audio 10 you should have the additional ins and outs to do this even when using 4 channels in Traktor
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

Hey Volpe,
    I have been trying the same thing for about 2 days now, I did the whole Dj Endo set up and that works fine but did you get ableton to send that signal to the AUX so that when you turn the aux knob it effects the whole track?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by spacebyrdz View Post
    Hey Volpe,
    I have been trying the same thing for about 2 days now, I did the whole Dj Endo set up and that works fine but did you get ableton to send that signal to the AUX so that when you turn the aux knob it effects the whole track?
    I have not tried it yet since i will not buy ableton if i'm not 100% sure if and how it works. But as i understand it you have to connect the output of the soundcard to one of the mic-faders and the input to the aux, so you will have full dry signal on the fader and full wet signal on the aux-knobs (or maybe the other way round)
    Hit me up if you get it working

Quote Originally Posted by Volpe View Post
    I have not tried it yet since i will not buy ableton if i'm not 100% sure if and how it works. But as i understand it you have to connect the output of the soundcard to one of the mic-faders and the input to the aux, so you will have full dry signal on the fader and full wet signal on the aux-knobs (or maybe the other way round)
    Hit me up if you get it working
    Ok so I did what Ashigari recommended and i'm getting signal to the my mixer from my Audio 10, I routed the send input to the Aux 1 send, and the output to return aux 1. Ok so now when i turn the aux knob i get the track that i'm plying stereo out of the aux it kind of sounds like two tracks that are almost about to start phasing. Any advise ??

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by spacebyrdz View Post
    Ok so I did what Ashigari recommended and i'm getting signal to the my mixer from my Audio 10, I routed the send input to the Aux 1 send, and the output to return aux 1. Ok so now when i turn the aux knob i get the track that i'm plying stereo out of the aux it kind of sounds like two tracks that are almost about to start phasing. Any advise ??
    Try connecting the return to one of the mic inputs of the 92.

I've read about this for a long time now and it was my intention too. Unfortunately, I still don't have a Xone 92. It should be like this:

1. In Ableton > Preferences > Audio Setup select the Traktor Audio 10 as soundcard.
    2. At the back of the Xone 92, insert the AUX 1/2 into 1 of the Traktor Audio 10's inputs.
    3. Still in Ableton, insert an audio track and change the I/O of that channel: Audio From, you select the inputs from which you've just inserted the AUX 1/2 channels. So if they're going to the Traktor Audio 10 inputs 3/4, in Ableton you'll select Audio From Traktor Audio 10 channels 3/4.
    4. For instance, you want a delay or something? Drop it where it says 'Audio Effects here' and make sure that you'll set the Dry/Wet signal of the delay to 100%!
    5. Connect your Traktor Audio 10 outputs to the Return 1/2 of the Xone 92. So if you're using 4 Traktor Decks, use outputs 9/10 and stick them into Return 1 or 2.
    6. On the mixer, there are 2 extra channels on the right. Depending on the Return you're using, pull the fader all the way up and at the top, you'll see a switch for 'MIC/RTN'. Push it, so this channel will receive the Return signal.
    7. Now, everything should be ready to go. Play something and if you're using Return 1, try to rotate the AUX 1 rotary above the channel which you're using. Depending on the position of the AUX 1 rotary, you should hear the delay on top of that channel. Great thing is that you can pull the fader of the channel down and you will hear that delay ringing out (post fader).

Let us know if it'll work and if I were right!
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast