Lunchbreak jaunt leads to confusion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lunchbreak jaunt leads to confusion

Hey all,

I decided on a whim while on a lunch break to stop into a local guitar center and actually check out some gear that’s current and just to see what they actually had in stock. I was actually expecting them to have a DJM-850 so I could have a look at it in person. I'm trying to incorporate my Maschine and external Synth with Traktor and my CDJ-400's but can't do much with my DJM-400.

To my surprise they don’t stock any mixers anymore besides one made by Numark. The rest was all controllers. A clerk came up to me and chatted me up a bit, rather laid back, we talked a bit and he asked me what I had currently and when I told him the first thing he said was, “wow, old guy”. I did not take offense I laughed a bit and admitted that yes I have a old way of thinking and I had not fully adopted to the all-in-one controller/laptop mantra.

He took me around and showed me the S4 Traktor hardware which did not work on the in-store demo and was sadly beat to death, missing knobs and faders. Then he brought me over to a unit called the NS7II by Numark and this ran Serato. That worked, well one platter worked at least and I fiddled with that for a bit but got frustrated as I did not know my way around the unit or Serato either. The entire unit seemed to have been fiddled with so things that should have worked, to me, did not, like the pads for the roll effect, pushing them activated the effect but you had to hit the same pad again to turn it off otherwise it would keep playing.

Anyways he came back and asked me what I thought and I honestly said I had wanted to just get a 4 channel mixer that I could use with Traktor so I could incorporate my synth and Maschine to not only layer beats and effects over tracks but also to use my own productions in mixes or use remix decks.

He explained that it was going to get very messy very fast and that I ultimately would be better served by a controller for Traktor or Serato but the question was which one. Since I have Maschine and use that in production, I mentioned that I’d like to use it with Traktor, however the two controllers I was shown, NS7II and the DDJ-SX both use Serato.

I reverted back to my original question, why can’t I just use my CDJ-400’s and get a DJM-850 that would allow me to use Traktor and Maschine and my Synth all like one big happy family? I was again told that the effects on the DJM-850 are the only ones I can use and not the effects in Traktor.

Perhaps I’m just afraid of change or that I just don’t want to have my eggs in one basket, decks/mixer in one unit with no expansion ability after a new software release comes out and renders the deck obsolete. The price for either the NS7II or the SX were the same and admittedly they would give me more options but I would not be able to use Traktor with either one just Serato and from what I used of Serato, 30 minutes, I did not quite like it, however I did like the vinyl feel, memories! I have however been on CDJ's for years and years now and the DDJ-SX layout seemed more familiar to me with my CDJ-400's and DJM-400 mixer including hard clicky buttons rather than the soft ones on the numark but that's being overly picky I think.

Has anyone been a particular situation like this, what helped you made a decision if any at all needed to be made?

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feedbackl00p View Post
    The salesman was an idiot who had no idea what he was talking about. People in retail arent hired for their knowledge.

What are you expecting from guitar centre? Go to a DJ shop where you can talk to people who actually understands what DJs do.
    I honestly did not know what to expect, I don't get much time off to myself and this was the one time I had a chance and I just figure'd what do I have to loose. Sadly I believe that this guitar center I found is literally the only shop that actually carries any dj equipment.

Tech Guru

The DJM 850 would be a perfect fit for your setup, and is a much better way to use Traktor than any all-in-one controller. It will also let you use timecode vinyl in Traktor without the need for another audio interface.

You can obviously still use Traktor FX while using an external mixer like the DJM, but they will only be pre-fader.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by feedbackl00p View Post
    The salesman was an idiot who had no idea what he was talking about. People in retail arent hired for their knowledge.

What are you expecting from guitar centre? Go to a DJ shop where you can talk to people who actually understands what DJs do.
    DJ shops are so incredibly rare.

But yea, that guy was speaking out of his ass.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:22 PM.

i only ever shop local... i walk into the local music shop, they refer to me by my first name... the show me exactly what will do what i ask, and then give me thier honest opinion. they also check out and sometimes repair my broken gear for free because i am known to them

I have always hated every guitar center experience i have ever had.
    Last edited by calgarc; 05-20-2014 at 10:28 PM.

I'm debating going back as I've heard from others on the web, probably baloney though, that they can haggle or get you a better price? I know the price on the NS7II went from what it was to 500 off which made me think for a second and it was brand new. Anyways, the controller part seemed cool but I'm leaning toward a 4ch mixer I think, or at least till my cdj-400's finally stop working.

Tech Guru

A 4ch mixer is the only way you'll be able to combine Traktor, CDJs, Maschine, and an external synth effectively.

You could also have a look at the DJM 750 or Xone DB2 if you don't need timecode.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Conratulations - you met a sales guy!

Get yourself a DJM-850 if you can afford it. It is an AWESOME mixer.

If you can't afford it, look at the Behringer DDM-4000 or NOX606 (you'll need an audio interface if your gonna run seperate audio channels into one of those, though).
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast