does anyone know anything about vci-100se and traktor pro?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default does anyone know anything about vci-100se and traktor pro?

I am kinda losing my mind here. I spent all night last night trying to get my new Traktor pro to work with my vci-100se. No deal. I can't get the jog wheels to behave like they used to after I upgraded to SE and was using Traktor LE. In fact I can't get anything to work really at all.

I purchased and upgrade to my firmware. I purchased an overlay that was supposed to correspond to the new functionality. And I read a post here that said the vci-100SE would work fine with Traktor Pro so I bought it. And for all practical purposes this appears to be untrue. The jogwheel ramp up issue has returned, and I can map successfully only the most basic of functions. So essentially I now how a vci that is unusable for me with anything but Traktor LE (who's functionality no longer matches the labels on my vci) since upon the release of Traktor Pro, version 3.4 seems to be no longer available.

I've tried about 5 different .tsi files that different people on here and elsewhere have created and none of them will even import. I'm starting to feel like unless one is a midi implementation professional they are doomed.

Can anyone tell me either where to go for information on what to do to get this going or perhaps shed some light on a time frame for release of a .tsi file for the SE?

I just wanna spin some tracks

thx

Tech Mentor

Ean is working on a .tsi for firmware 1.3 in Traktor Pro.

Until then, I'd stick with Traktor 3 and take it easy!

Sorry to hear your frustration here are the current facts:

the vci-100SE was designed to work with Traktor 3 and the only files publicly available right now that will work with the SE are for Traktor 3.

We are working on a TSI that will match the SE functions. i am working this weekend on it and it should be announced on Monday.

in the mean time, restart your unit in 1.2 mode and use one of the standard TSI files to spin the regular way

Tech Wizard

thx very much Ean! its a little easier to be patient knowing there will be a solution sooner than later part of the frustration is feeling like NI could have tried to make the transition to the new software easier, like a tks file converter or something. and the other part is I'm the worst person in the world to be setting up midi lol.

thanks for letting me know whats up!!

Quote Originally Posted by ribs View Post
    thx very much Ean! its a little easier to be patient knowing there will be a solution sooner than later part of the frustration is feeling like NI could have tried to make the transition to the new software easier, like a tks file converter or something. and the other part is I'm the worst person in the world to be setting up midi lol.

thanks for letting me know whats up!!
    If you look at the changes to the midi mappings you would see that making a tks converter would be near impossible

The project for the .TSI is a large jog to do properly, so everyones patience is appreciated.

Tech Mentor

Loving the free updates Ean. This is the best customer service for any product because this company, always makes sure our hardware is compatible.
    Thank Ya!!!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by luv2xra View Post
    Loving the free updates Ean. This is the best customer service for any product because this company, always makes sure our hardware is compatible.
    seriously! try getting a response from NI ... no way!

Regarding NI support, have you tried the NI forums?

I heared some great stuff about it.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Regarding NI support, have you tried the NI forums?

I heared some great stuff about it.
    if have found the NI forums to be full of excellent people with excellent ideas who all are suffering from the same thing: terrible NI support.

while answers are available there, it can be quite the laborious task to find information specific to one's individual needs in any forum.

this forum aside of course

Tech Wizard

i did find this there however, which is some excellent and much needed information:

[MIDI Modifiers] 100 – Basic Theory
    This series of messages will take you from the very beginnings with modifiers all the way through to advanced switching and control. Each of the message titles will be prefixed with lesson(?) number, This one being [MIDI Modifiers] 100 – Basic Theory

As you’ve no doubt discovered one of the changes to MIDI control is the removal of the MIDI pages. On the surface this looks to be a HUGE impediment to being able to do some really fancy control trickery, until you realize the presence of the new MIDI Modifier feature(s). When you first look at it, you are no doubt going to be scratching your head going “What the hell is this and how can I use it?” Think of modifiers as MIDI pages on steroids. They offer much greater flexibility, instead of just 4 pages you have the capability now to do essentially 128 pages. You can just map the controls you need to a modifier or all the controls if you want to emulate the T3 control model.

To start with modifiers looks like a confusing mess, and while its true the learning curve is steep, its fairly short, at least to gain a basic understanding. As already noted MIDI modifiers replaces MIDI Pages. There is no analog for Keyboard Modifiers sorry to say, (not yet anyway) but keyboard keys can be used to trigger MIDI Modifiers.

So what are modifiers? The easiest way to think of them is as a bank of 8 rotary switches. Each rotary switch can be used to select a single value from 0 to 7. The switches have the additional function of reverting automagically to default value of 0 once the button or knob is done sending a message and the modifier is not locked at the new value. There is a way to latch the modifier value, that will be shown in a future lesson.

If you look in preferences | MIDI Mapping there are several new pieces that go to making up the whole MIDI Modifier landscape.

1/ the first piece is to look at is when you click the Add Button, there is a new function group called “modifier”. It contains a sublist with Modifiers #1 – 8 in it. Each of these modifiers is MIDI trigger-able. You can use any control that generates a midi message to trigger the modifier. A common use is a button type control. When triggered the modifier has its value set to what ever is defined in the button options. Possible range of values is 0 –7. Zero is special in that its the default value, if no other value has over-ridden the default value, then zero is set for the modifier. This lists of modifiers lists all the available modifier switches in Traktor Pro. Its not user definable or changeable, it doesn’t need to be. The list of modifiers is fixed at 8. The list of values usable for each modifier is 8 (ranging from 0-7). You may think that is not enough for what you want to do but consider that each modifier has 8 possible values AND you can apply 2 modifiers to each MIDI control then you have tremendous flexibility. During testing I created working presets with over 800 Midi controls and throughout that I used just 4 modifiers and 4 values to do everything I needed. You could get much more complicated than that but trying to remember and understand your logic ladder later on will become impossible. The critical point to take away from this this section; when constructing your preset remember K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid! Just about every single propellerhead in the world who sees this functionality and grasps its use will first construct presets that are totally magnificent, but so complicated and intricate that they will ultimately fail. We’ll cover the modifier control types and what you can do with them later. For now we’ll simply be using the hold type with a button.

2/ The second piece of the puzzle is the Modifiers section that has been added to the preferences MIDI Mapping page for every MIDI control. There are two pairs of items Modifier/Value, Modifier/Value. Well come back to how they work in second.

3/ The third and final piece is in the Assignments Table list, MOD1 and MOD2. These are the Modifier and Value pairs (noted in piece 2/) defined for a control. Each MIDI control you setup can have from 0 to 2 modifiers defined. Any control that has zero (0) modifiers defined will always work no matter what modifier is pressed. So, say for example you have your controller layout setup so that no matter what modifier is set you always want your deck volume controls to be accessible then you could a) add additional mappings for each state you have or b)not to add any modifier at all and its always accessible.

So to sum up so far:
    Modifier Switches are listed as Modifier #1 through Modifier #8 and are also noted as M1, M2 ... M8.
    All modifiers have a default value assigned. That value is always zero unless the modifier is triggered.
    Mod1 and Mod2 are essentially list filter criteria. Say you have a MIDI controller that when you press a button that produces MIDI message CC1(ch1). You define a Modifier set to value = 1 (and set it to button and hold mode). When you press that button, Traktor first updates the modifier table it keeps in memory, setting the new value for M1 to 1 then it evaluates all the MIDI controls to see which controls are also assigned to message CC1. When it filters down to those controls, it next looks to see if Mod1 or Mod2 have an entry defined for that control. If nothing is set, the control works always, regardless of the modifier and value being set. If Mod1 and or MOD2 has been set then Traktor gets the tag/value pair for the control and looks up the modifier number (M1) in the lookup table to see what values are currently set. If the value in the lookup table and the value from the control (1) match, then whatever action the MIDI control says to do, actually gets done. If the values don’t match the control operation is ignored.

So now that we’re done with the theory lets do something semi-useful. First off save your current Traktor Midi preset by exporting the MIDI section in preferences.
    To make it easier to see you may want to delete all your current MIDI controls after you have exported, you can import again after experimenting.

First control entry we’ll create is Modifier#1. Set it as follows: Interaction mode = Hold, Type of controller = Button, Value = 1. Do not set M Numbers or values for either modifier If you did then this modifier will get filtered based on those entries and this demo will not work. Use learn to set a MIDI controller button to this control entry.

Next Control Add a control entry Mixer | Key on, set it as follows: Interaction mode = Toggle, Type of controller = Button, Assignment = focus. Set the first modifier to M1 and value to 1. Use learn to set a second MIDI controller button to this control entry.

Next Control entry Add Mixer | Monitor Cue, set it as follows: Interaction mode = Toggle, Type of controller = Button, Assignment = focus. Set no modifier at all right now.
    Use learn to also set the second controller button to this control entry.

Turn Learn off and press button 2, monitor cue will turn on and off. Key on state will remain as it was.
    Press and hold Button 1 then press button 2. Both Monitor Cue and Key on will change state. This occurs because the Modifier Button is triggering the modifier so the filter gets applied, that means key on gets evaluated and therefore changes. Also, since no modifier at all is applied to Monitor Cue it always works. Take care later on when making your presets, failing to set Mod 1 or 2 to zero when necessary can result in unexpected behaviors.
    Next step lets go back and edit the entry for Monitor cue. Change the modifier entry for MOD1 to be M1=0.
    Now press button 2 and you’ll see the same behavior as step 1 above.
    Press and hold Button 1 then press button 2. Monitor Cue will not change, But Key on will change state. This occurs because the Modifier button is now triggering the modifier so the filter gets applied. That means 'key on' gets evaluated and changed state since Modifier#1 = 1 now since Monitor Cue was set to on act if M1 = 0 , it doesn't get acted upon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast