We dont book DJ's that use controllers!
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default We dont book DJ's that use controllers!

Promoter: Well i can tell you now i only book people who use cdj's or turntables... traktor etc is cool but has to be on the decks - not midi controller

Me: why is that?

Promotereople at my club nights like to see the dj mixing on decks i think that is fair enough.

...Discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyWoo View Post
    Promoter: Well i can tell you now i only book people who use cdj's or turntables... traktor etc is cool but has to be on the decks - not midi controller

Me: why is that?

Promotereople at my club nights like to see the dj mixing on decks i think that is fair enough.

...Discuss!
    i'd say He/She is Witch, so .... BUUUUURRRRRN

BURRRRRRNNN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

BUUUUAAAAAAUAUAUUAUUAUAUAURRRRNNN
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Wizard

Rhetorical Question - What's more visually entertaining, 2 cdj's and a mixer, or say a vci-100 using fader fx and a mixer?

I just talked to a promoter on thursday at a new club that opened up in town, on my resume I mentioned that I use traktor and a couple controllers, his response was exactly the same...he said they don't book laptop dj's, walked away and wouldn't talk to me again. Kind of rough but fuck 'em, their loss I figure..sooner or later clubs will have to come to the realization that the laptop is becoming more or less a staple in a dj's setup.

So the first two clubs i have tried to get gigs at have refused me because I don't use VJ software, and because I use a laptop period. Woo hopefully third time is a charm! haha

Tech Mentor

wouldnt it be smarter to say something like, oh i can dj on cdjs as well. get the gig and then after the promoter realizes that you know what your doing say, hey can i bring my laptop setup next week? im a much better dj when i play with my laptop.

dont snob promoters. gives you a bad rep. some promoters want to see that you are flexible and willing to work with what they have.

Tech Guru

I experience this all the time. The main problem i can tell is the switch over. It took me quite awhille to master switching efficiently from say a couple of controllers to someone that plays CD's. Also booths are very crowded. DJ TT needs to make an article on this to share some light. If some company made like a stand for controllers that fit perfectly over the top of CDJs with no hassle controllerists will be free from this issue!
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    wouldnt it be smarter to say something like, oh i can dj on cdjs as well. get the gig and then after the promoter realizes that you know what your doing say, hey can i bring my laptop setup next week? im a much better dj when i play with my laptop.

dont snob promoters. gives you a bad rep. some promoters want to see that you are flexible and willing to work with what they have.
    +1
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastams View Post
    I just talked to a promoter on thursday at a new club that opened up in town, on my resume I mentioned that I use traktor and a couple controllers, his response was exactly the same...he said they don't book laptop dj's, walked away and wouldn't talk to me again. Kind of rough but fuck 'em, their loss I figure..sooner or later clubs will have to come to the realization that the laptop is becoming more or less a staple in a dj's setup.

So the first two clubs i have tried to get gigs at have refused me because I don't use VJ software, and because I use a laptop period. Woo hopefully third time is a charm! haha
    what club was it? just curious

Place called Roadhouse, not really a club but they do EDM nights twice a month...and the place that requires vj software is called the funky monkey haha

last year when i got hold of my vci, alot of guys i knew weren't too impressed (was same when i went down the cdj road to), so haven't pushed much for gigs since. really should do something about that

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastams View Post
    Place called Roadhouse, not really a club but they do EDM nights twice a month...and the place that requires vj software is called the funky monkey haha
    on an unrelated note, the monkey bit just reminded me i thought for ages that your avatar was a monkey, fuck knows how.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast