I Want to Switch to MAC...Please Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I Want to Switch to MAC...Please Help

I have been a PC guy for my entire life. I can no longer take drop-outs, loading, incompatible drivers, you name it. I want to play music with all my gear and using my Komplete Audio 6. I have at least 8 USB items to plug in. (yes i use a powered USB hub)

Just please tell me, which Mac should I buy? Will it be easy to convert over? Will it last me for 4 years?

I've done research but I don't know MAC speak...Help me DJTT Kenobe, you're my only hope.

You looking for new or used? Budget?

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    You looking for new or used? Budget?
    I am open to whatever...What does a high end Mac give me that a low end Mac doesn't? If it is processing power and RAM (once again lack of MAC knowledge but I imagine that's what it all boils down to) can those be added down the road?

So, I guess:

1. what is the absolute standard (MAC) that should be used for DJing with entry level music production capabilites?

2. What does a high end MAC give me that a low end doesn't?

3. Will I be able to convert all of my NI programs over to MAC (i think this is possible based on info from NI website)?

As far as budget is concerned, I can save up for anything...I believe in having the proper tools to complete a task. Illustration: I can drive a nail with a screwdriver, but I'd much rather use a hammer.

Thank you in advance!

Tech Convert

In order to do this you will have to repurchase/install all your software as it will not be cross platform compatible. If you have purchased from say NI, then you will probably be able to do this by contacting them or through the service centre or something i would have guessed.

It will be a learning curve at first because the operating systems work differently but once you get into it its MAC OSX over windows all day every day IMHO.

Take the plunge if you have the funds. Google is your friend and im sure you will find help on here for more specific issues if they do arise.

I use a macbook pro 15" i7 with 8Gb RAM and an SSD. It runs like a dream and I have alsorts on it. You wont be dissapointed performance-wise.

Tech Mentor

get a macbook pro with at least 8gb ram and you are fine for the next years.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Well I guess that solves that! MacBook Pro it is. Thank you for the help!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJBBWB View Post
    I have been a PC guy for my entire life. I can no longer take drop-outs, loading, incompatible drivers, you name it. I want to play music with all my gear and using my Komplete Audio 6. I have at least 8 USB items to plug in. (yes i use a powered USB hub)

Just please tell me, which Mac should I buy? Will it be easy to convert over? Will it last me for 4 years?

I've done research but I don't know MAC speak...Help me DJTT Kenobe, you're my only hope.
    A Mac is just a PC with a different OS.

There is nothing whatsoever inherently superior about a mac, even though CoreAudio is excellent. They make a great PC, but there is nothing wrong with Windows as an audio platform.

Millions of people like me run audio PCs with no crashes, low latency and no dropouts.

Mac users have audio problems too. Youre going to have a bad time if you think buying a mac will be the last time you have to troubleshoot a computer issue. The last generation of Macbooks were plagued with USB power issues.

So buy a Mac if you want, but your assumption that PCs mean dropouts and problems is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    A Mac is just a PC with a different OS.

There is nothing whatsoever inherently superior about a mac, even though CoreAudio is excellent. They make a great PC, but there is nothing wrong with Windows as an audio platform.

Millions of people like me run audio PCs with no crashes, low latency and no dropouts.

Mac users have audio problems too. Youre going to have a bad time if you think buying a mac will be the last time you have to troubleshoot a computer issue. The last generation of Macbooks were plagued with USB power issues.

So buy a Mac if you want, but your assumption that PCs mean dropouts and problems is simply wrong.
    This is good feedback. Let me describe what's happening and maybe you can guide me to the proper solution. Because everything I have researched has suggested that PC is the problem and there are less issues with a MAC, in regards to audio.

Gear I am using:
    PC - i5 2.50 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, Windows 7
    Traktor Pro 2
    Komplete Audio 6
    Kontrol Z1
    Kontrol x1 mk2
    Maschine mk2
    Kontrol S2 mk1
    Plugable Powered USB Hub
    All cords are from DJTT
    Hitachi External Drive - All music is on the drive

(issue happens either on home monitors or powered Mackies so I don't think they are the issue....unless there is a problem with the KA6, which I find unlikely)

I close all background processes before sets and during practice. 1 out of 6 times when I start up Traktor it will redline even without tracks queued. Once I do load a track you hear popping through whichever output I'm currently using (powered speakers, monitors, headphones, etc) I have adjusted settings and downloaded/re-installed drivers. I have optimized settings according to power usage. I have updated firmware on the PC and all NI components.

I really don't know what else to do...but I figure there has to be a reason the majority of people I see DJing (IRL, on youtube, in videos), producing tracks, in the courses I've taken from Dubspot are using a MAC. I have been the staunchest of supporters for PC. That's not really what I'm about though...I want gear that works and is reliable. Minimize risks at all costs. I've had to reset during gigs twice this year (not a big deal...comes with the territory) If i were playing a guitar I'd bring extra picks for when they break, If I were djing vinyl I'd have extra needles...stuff happens and I'm prepared for that. But I don't want to show up with product that has a high potential to fail me.

Maybe I have a bad PC, totally possible. But If I'm already in the market to buy something else (and windows 8 does not impress me) what are my options?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJBBWB View Post
    This is good feedback. Let me describe what's happening and maybe you can guide me to the proper solution. Because everything I have researched has suggested that PC is the problem and there are less issues with a MAC, in regards to audio.

Gear I am using:
    PC - i5 2.50 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, Windows 7
    Traktor Pro 2
    Komplete Audio 6
    Kontrol Z1
    Kontrol x1 mk2
    Maschine mk2
    Kontrol S2 mk1
    Plugable Powered USB Hub
    All cords are from DJTT
    Hitachi External Drive - All music is on the drive

(issue happens either on home monitors or powered Mackies so I don't think they are the issue....unless there is a problem with the KA6, which I find unlikely)

I close all background processes before sets and during practice. 1 out of 6 times when I start up Traktor it will redline even without tracks queued. Once I do load a track you hear popping through whichever output I'm currently using (powered speakers, monitors, headphones, etc) I have adjusted settings and downloaded/re-installed drivers. I have optimized settings according to power usage. I have updated firmware on the PC and all NI components.

I really don't know what else to do...but I figure there has to be a reason the majority of people I see DJing (IRL, on youtube, in videos), producing tracks, in the courses I've taken from Dubspot are using a MAC. I have been the staunchest of supporters for PC. That's not really what I'm about though...I want gear that works and is reliable. Minimize risks at all costs. I've had to reset during gigs twice this year (not a big deal...comes with the territory) If i were playing a guitar I'd bring extra picks for when they break, If I were djing vinyl I'd have extra needles...stuff happens and I'm prepared for that. But I don't want to show up with product that has a high potential to fail me.

Maybe I have a bad PC, totally possible. But If I'm already in the market to buy something else (and windows 8 does not impress me) what are my options?
    Im not trying to convince you not to buy a Mac. I think they are great machines myself.

But all computers fail and all have problems.

What brand and model PC do you have, or is it a home build?

Look at the real time latency checker in the Kontrol Audio diagnostic panel. Are you getting red spikes?

No doubt! I appreciate real conversation. Nothing gets me more fired up than computer issues...ya know?

Dell Latitude E6420

Yes, when Traktor is redlining the KA6 is also spiking and saying this PC is not optimized for streaming audio or some such. I'll have to screen shot it. (Of course it wants to work currently)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast