Midi Fighter with Max/MSP
    Tech Student

Default Midi Fighter with Max/MSP

Anybody here using a Midi Fighter with Max/MSP? I had a chance to hold one at a shop the other day(not even plugged in), and the device really spoke to me. However, I don't use Traktor---I'm strictly a Max/MSP/Jitter and Logic guy---my first intent would be to use it just with Max. Curious how easy (or not) it would be to map it to my Max/MSP patches. I don't even DJ, I just create generative music performance Max patches, and am looking for a very portable, fun, controller to use with it. I know there are probably more versatile choices out there--also looking at things like Livid Code, but it's pricey, bigger footprint than what I want, and as I say above, the Midi Fighter just felt inspiring when I picked it up. My idea is to use it for controlling buttons, toggles, etc. in Max, and then use TouchOSC on my iPhone for sliders--a very portable setup I'm thinking. . . . Any thoughts appreciated!

It's just midi, so mapping the midifighter is no different from mapping any other controller. I've never used Max/MSP but mapping a controller in ableton is pretty simple; if you're looking into controllers, you probably already have an idea of what to do to map them?

Also you should look into the MF Pro (or add a korg nanokontrol) if you want pots + sliders too; I don't think using your iphone will be that great an experience over time. It's a cool gimmick but it's too small and the lack of tactile feedback might be frustrating over time. Plus what happens if that hottie from last night's gig makes a booty call while you're trying to adjust the LFO....
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Student

Thanks for the reply---yeah, I just started looking into this, so not much experience mapping a controller yet, but I figure it can't be that difficult.
    Good points about the iPhone too. Maybe if I had an iPad it would be more feasible, but as you say, ultimately I DO prefer real tactile controls over a touch screen any day of the week.
    The MF Pro looks great, but getting a bit pricey for me (and something about the aesthetics of the classic MF just grabs me!). MF and NanoKontrol could be a win (more sliders than with MF Pro too . . .)

Cheers!

Tech Mentor

In this case, you could maybe use the nanokontrol2... It seems slightly better finished and fits more on live/max kontrol. furthermore, when you plug the nankontrol2 while holding a combination of button, it switch in "ableton" mode, and you have nothing to map at all, everything is ready
    Just friday @ soundcloud| Samurai.fm | facebook
    Setup : Dual booted Alienware M11X : Ubuntu Studio : Mixxx 1.11 + ubuntustudio/Windows 7:Traktor pro 2+Reason
    Custom Mappings for this devices : Xone K2, Xone DB2, Technics mk2, Akai Ldp8, Midifighter Classic, Korg Nanokontrol 2, American Audio VMS4, Axiom 25, Kaossilator Pro

Tech Mentor

If you're willing to spend the extra money, you could open up a nanokontrol, replace the buttons with arcade buttons (there's enough for a mf layout) and you could even replace those crappy knobs and faders. I wouldn't be surprised if you did it for under 300 USD.

str8updrew did one a while back its on this blog:
    http://fakemoneynyc.blogspot.com/201...-blown-at.html
    Edit: The reason his mod has so many buttons is because he also added part of a usb keyboard brain, but you could still have enough buttons for a mf layout with just a nanokontrol.
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Zhao View Post
    str8updrew did one a while back its on this blog:
    http://fakemoneynyc.blogspot.com/201...-blown-at.html
    Wow--that's cool!