Wish list: what features would you like to see in a controller/mixer hybrid?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Wish list: what features would you like to see in a controller/mixer hybrid?

Hi guys,
    I'm currently getting started in the hardware development business and am in the process of designing a 2-channel DJ controller/mixer hybrid in the $200-300 price range. I have a few unusual ideas that I will integrate into the product, but I'd love to hear from you, the community, what kind of features you would really like to see on a product like this. Additionally, what traditional features could you do without? For instance, I'd like to drop jog wheels and add a chunky browse knob. Please let me know - all input is highly appreciated and will be taken into account.
    Thanks!
    Argus

Tech Mentor

sounds like a VMS2

Tech Mentor

Maybe something in place of jogwheels like the twitch's touch strip? I don't really like using buttons to jog/scrub etc.
    Just me though.
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Tech Convert

I should probably list a few of the components that will definitely be included, so you guys can add to it and give your opinions.

- two MIDI assignable FX sections with 4 buttons and 4 pots each
    - one large assignable browse knob
    - load and sync buttons per track
    - 8 assignable buttons for cue points or other applications
    - a new frequency mixing and EQ concept I'm still working on, which is probably going to be the main draw of the product.
    - plus obvious components like line and crossfaders, cue and master volume, and cue mix.

Concerning Zhao's comment, how would you guys like to seek through your tracks in the absence of jog wheels? a touch strip, like he suggested? an encoder? any other ideas? I'm asking because a good touch strip is difficult to make, as a lot of people have had complaints about the one on Novation's Twitch.

also, do you think pitch controls are absolutely necessary in our times of near-perfect sync?

thanks for the input!

Tech Mentor

pitch control is a must IMO, can you include 5 knobs on each channel, Gain, 3 eq's, and a filter knob? not a lot of controllers have a dedicated filter knob & gain knob
    and can you include arcade buttons? or something that has easy feedback

Something to control sample decks. Good loop and move controls too.
    May u let us in on ur eq thing that is unfinished, we could maybe contribute as a community.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Concerning Zhao's comment, how would you guys like to seek through your tracks in the absence of jog wheels? a touch strip, like he suggested? an encoder? any other ideas? I'm asking because a good touch strip is difficult to make, as a lot of people have had complaints about the one on Novation's Twitch.

also, do you think pitch controls are absolutely necessary in our times of near-perfect sync?

thanks for the input!
    I always use the encoder (next to the loop size) on my S4
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

The ability to run timecode is a must for me, as well as fx banks with 4 buttons and 4 knobs-midi assignable. I like the knobs that light up on the bcr2000. Midi mappable everything! Jogwheels and pitch faders for sure. Lots of buttons and knobs, and light up everything!
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Definitely a dedicated filter knob.. as far as pitch goes, a couple controllers use a push encoder, and when you turn it while pushing it, you get fine adjustment.
    It would be nice to have 8 buttons per deck for cues as opposed to many controllers that only have 4. 8 tactical buttons not soft ones.
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Tech Convert

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas! Here's a few thoughts:

1) After a lot of research, it doesn't seem feasible to include an audio interface in the product - that means you'll need an external 2-channel one, like the Traktor Audio 2. Is this a deal-breaker considering that most controllers now have interfaces built in?

2) I'm trying to keep this product on the small side, so I'm facing some difficult decisions about what controls to include. I would love to have pitch faders and pitch bend buttons or jog wheels, but those take up a lot of space. I know this will be out of the question to many of you, but do you think there is interest for a controller that relies mainly on the sync button for beat matching and drops traditional pitch controls?

3) what is the activity you find yourself doing the most while DJing? browsing? EQing? cueing? beat matching?

4) some of you mentioned filter knobs. do you prefer notched LFP/HPF hybrids or dedicated big LPF knobs? should they be in the audio circuit or be MIDI assignable?

thanks again, guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast