Updating speakers need advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Updating speakers need advice

Hi guys
    looking at upgrading my PA system atm have 2 ES-15BLU Gemini Powered Speakers
    • 800W peak, 200W RMS Class AB built-in amplifier
    • Impedance 4 Ohms
    • 15” LF woofer with 2” voice coil
    • Pure Titanium 1” HF compression driver
    • Linear frequency response between 50Hz-20KHz
    • Wide dispersion horn with forward firing bass reflex ports
    • ABS impact resistant nylon fiber cabinet
    • Top and side handles for easy carrying
    • 2 Input channels with separate gain cont
    have lost a few gig recently as clients only wanted JBL , Mackie or Wharfedale speakers so looking at :

Wharfedale Titan 12D & SUB15A 2K Watt Active PA Speaker Sound System Package
    Titan 12D
    • 250W RMS / 500W Peak
    • 127dB Max SPL
    • 55Hz – 20kHz frequency response
    • Custom Heavy duty moisture-proof 12" LF driver
    • Proprietary 90 x 60 Elliptical Wave Guide Horn design
    • High-end Titanium HF Compression Driver
    • Tough, yet lightweight Polypropylene molded cabinet with rubber padded handles
    • Multiple M6, M8 & M10 rigging points and integral tripod stand adapter
    • Rugged protective grille and top-stacking receptacles
    • Trapezoid shape for arrays as well as stage monitor applications
    • 2-band Hi / Low shelf EQ
    SUB15A

• 400W RMS / 600W Peak
    • 127dB Max SPL
    • 45Hz – 150Hz frequency response
    • Custom Heavy duty moisture-proof 15" LF driver
    • Peak limiter that protects the amplifier and speaker from clipping
    • 0°, 180° PHASE switch
    • Thermal, DC fault and short circuit protection
    • Built-in crossover

Do a lot of weddings and travel big distances so need a portable setup

So guess my question is is it worth buying the Wharfedale package? Is it going to give me better sound ??
    Thanks so much for the help
    Pete
    Last edited by Dj JazzyPete; 01-18-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Just found out the company selling the Wharfedale Titan package a scammers yeah it was too cheap ..

so maybe get an active bass box to go with the Gemini speakers ? not sure
    or maybe
    QTX QL1510MA 2.1 Active PA System?
    not sure which way to go what to do ?

No one in my area uses Gemini speakers nor Wharfedale(honestly never heard of them before). Gemini are certainly not a speaker brand most sound engineers go to which can sometimes put off clients but if you happen to have a magic touch it is always worth providing the client a demo. I know an engineer who uses old cheap Behringer speakers(which most engineers roll their eyes at) yet because the guy can EQ the hell out of them they sound just as good as better known brands. Most guys I know have been shying away from JBL over the years and now they always joke that their name stands for "Junk but loud." If you are looking at JBLs I highly recommend looking at relatively priced Turbosound speakers. To me they are priced really well and even their 12s provide a decent amount of low end. I happened to consider them myself before deciding to get an Electrovoice ZLX setup. I love my EVs as they have a built in DSP which provides a nice warm sound. I have had a number of bass players surprised by the way a single 12 can have enough low end to bring out their notes in the middle of a mix. Otherwise most musicians and other engineers will often look at QSC K series or Yamaha DXRs. They are pricier and provide a naturally clean yet flat EQ. They sound great on the high end but if you are wanting more low end power you will certainly need to EQ it in.

Also just a little tidbit I have learned over the years, 12s are probably a better choice over 15s as most 12s these days provide sufficient low end power and if you need more just add a sub. I would only recommend 15s if you see yourself never adding a sub to your system. 15s are pretty bulky.

pacific808 thanks so much for the advise ..really needed some direction as know a bit about djing ,controllers and laptops but a bit of a sound system dummy . I Dj at a bar every week sunday jazz soul sessions and do regular wedding gigs etc

Also been looking at these Peavey Tri Flexx II 1000 Watt two-channel sound system it a shared Subwoofer cabinet and a pair of Satellite speakers.Or some Mackie thumps 15 or 12 s and add subs later Yeah like the recommendation for the ZLX setup . Will have to save for them. Touch out my price range atm .
    Last edited by Dj JazzyPete; 01-20-2018 at 10:55 AM.

No problem. I bought my first one outright but most of the gear I own(including my CDJ setup) was bought with gear credit cards. They are nice because as long as you don't use all of your credit and keep up to date with your monthly payments it can help increase you credit score. The two cards I use offer promo financing offering 0% interest if I pay it off in 24-36 months.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific808 View Post
    No problem. I bought my first one outright but most of the gear I own(including my CDJ setup) was bought with gear credit cards. They are nice because as long as you don't use all of your credit and keep up to date with your monthly payments it can help increase you credit score. The two cards I use offer promo financing offering 0% interest if I pay it off in 24-36 months.
    I'm not criticizing you, but I'd caution people against doing this unless they're sure they're going to take it seriously.

It's not wrong, but it can be very dangerious. If you don't manage to recoupt the expenses (to at least make the monthly payments) based on using the gear, and/or your day job can't support it...you could wind up in a really bad situation of still paying for the stuff after you quit using it.

And, there's always the possibility of continuing to pay for stuff after you've outgrown it.

It could work...especially if you really need the gear to do stuff you already know you want/need to do. Or if you just prefer the idea of getting the stuff before you save up for it.

A safer alternative would be to figure out what you want, figure out what the monthly payments would be, and then putting that money aside every month....at least to start. See if you can actually afford it without making sacrifices that you aren't willing to make. Spend that time, instead, doing research to make sure your choices are valid.

Starting doing that doesn't necessarily preclude doing it pacific808's way, but if you do it for a few months first, you'll also have a few months' buffer in case you come across unexpected bills or lose your day job or hit a snag making/playing music or something.

I also would never advise doing that for budget gear. If you're going to do it, get the best stuff you can reasonably afford. E.g., DO NOT use a credit card for Gemini or Warfdale. Step up to stuff that is going to last you at least through the time you'll be paying it off.

Thanks guys.
    I guess the main question advise I need is that I have 2 ES-15BLU Gemini Powered Speakers atm looking to upgrage a but not on huge buget run a Reloop Terminal mix 8 and either wireless mics or a plug in mic for events . Usally just plug in the mic station to the one of the inputs on the Gemini speakers ..
    Needing to upgrade as lossing gig as I have mid range Branded speakers . But it needs to be portable as trvel long dinstances to gigs and it has to fit in my old honda CRV with other equipment
    Been looking for a solution my budget is around $1300 US been looking at :
    1.Peavey Triflex II is a 1000 Watt three piece, two-channel sound system which is the system I leaning towards atm just gota workout if there are enough inputs for the mics and controller -One shared Subwoofer cabinet which houses the inputs and power amps
    Two two-way Satellite speakers with speaker pole stand adaptors
    Subwoofer has 15" woofer, with 500W peak available power
    Satellite speakers have 10" woofer, RX 14 1.4" compression driver tweeter
    2. 2xMackie Thump15 1000W 15 Powered Loudspeaker to replace the 2 gemini 15 speakers
    3.2x JBL JS-151A 15 Active Loudspeaker to replace the 2 gemini 15 speakers
    4.WHARFEDALE
    Titan 12D & SUB15A 2K Watt Active PA DJ Speaker Sound System Package

Open to other suggestions too thank just need some advice

Thanks guys.
    I guess the main question advise I need is that I have 2 ES-15BLU Gemini Powered Speakers atm looking to upgrage a but not on huge buget run a Reloop Terminal mix 8 and either wireless mics or a plug in mic for events . Usally just plug in the mic station to the one of the inputs on the Gemini speakers ..
    Needing to upgrade as lossing gig as I have mid range Branded speakers . But it needs to be portable as trvel long dinstances to gigs and it has to fit in my old honda CRV with other equipment
    Been looking for a solution my budget is around $1300 US been looking at :
    1.Peavey Triflex II is a 1000 Watt three piece, two-channel sound system which is the system I leaning towards atm just gota workout if there are enough inputs for the mics and controller -One shared Subwoofer cabinet which houses the inputs and power amps
    Two two-way Satellite speakers with speaker pole stand adaptors
    Subwoofer has 15" woofer, with 500W peak available power
    Satellite speakers have 10" woofer, RX 14 1.4" compression driver tweeter
    2. 2xMackie Thump15 1000W 15 Powered Loudspeaker to replace the 2 gemini 15 speakers
    3.2x JBL JS-151A 15 Active Loudspeaker to replace the 2 gemini 15 speakers
    4.WHARFEDALE
    Titan 12D & SUB15A 2K Watt Active PA DJ Speaker Sound System Package

Open to other suggestions too thank just need some advice

Mackie Thumps are probably my preference on your list. however i'd strongly recommend these https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZLX12p

Wharfedale. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharfedale_(company)

They're made downt he road from me. I live on the same river (River Wharfe) in the same valley (Wharefedale Valley). My dad has a pair of floor standing hifi speakers from them that came as a kit you build yourself. Bought in the 70s and still going.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast