DJ set question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ set question

Default DJ set question

what up. question for all you djs out there....

so i been playing at this gig in costa mesa for a couple weeks. i have been opening the club starting around 9 and my set ends around 10:30.. i sually keep the bpms between 128-133 ( my sweet spot).

i guess i have been doing pretty good as people been sayign they like my tunes, and i have been bumped up from the 10:30 -12am set time! woo hoo...

anyhow they have this new dj coming in to open, and he messaged me today saying he spins tech trance / trance which he said is between 136-140.

anyhow...i dont care what he spins i just want to know how to transition this smoothly....as most of my tracks are electro / house / think deadmau5 edit of daftpunk harder faster stronger type of beats....

so what should i do when its my time to spin...do i just mix a song in as normal...or let his song play until the end and then drop the beat?

just wondering what yall would do. i know theres no right or wrong answer....

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

Well now you get to make your own Tiesto-style intro track: you'll need some classical strings, lots of swooshing stuff, vocal samples from Sci-Fi movies, a vocoded sample that says your name, the full cliche.

Seriously, you get to turn off the beats, reset the room and announce your entrance. It'll be the best part of the night.

word. thanks for the info on this stupid question lol.... i mena i have seen people do this and it seems corny...but sheeet....i guess there is a first time for everything lol

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

Default Respect To The Previous DJ

Quote Originally Posted by wgdavis78 View Post
    so what should i do when its my time to spin...do i just mix a song in as normal...or let his song play until the end and then drop the beat?

just wondering what yall would do. i know theres no right or wrong answer....
    Give Respect To The Previous DJ,

ALWAYS Let Their Track Play Out
    NEVER Mix In (After All It's Their Set)

The Crowd Will Also Know When Your Set Starts

Give Respect & You'll Receive It

Hope This Helps
    The Duelist
    Last edited by The Duelist; 04-21-2008 at 05:33 PM.
    17" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz C2D | MacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Traktor 1.2.4 | VCI-100SE v3.4
    Korg Zero8 | NI Audio8 DJ | Akai APC40 | KRK V8 Mk2 | Sony MDR-7506
    Novation Remote SL25MkII | Kore2 | Komplete6 | Virus TI
    Ableton Live8 (Suite) | Logic9 | Reason4 | Audio Hijack Pro

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Take it on a case by case. I'm sure you have some songs that you can pitch up to 136-138 that can blend really well, and I'm also sure there are songs that you can slam in without long blends. If anything let his song die out, making a custom intro kinda thing and go with that :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

never try and mix down into tempos- dont gradually go from 140 to 125. That will KILL your floor. Stop the music, play something without beats- give respect to the other guy (if he was cool) then drop in your hottest track at a 123. Now build up the tempo from there.

I would dig it if the next DJ did a cool mix out of my last song to start his set. Hell I might even learn something!

costa mesa dj

Let the last dudes song finish and bring yours in. Like someone said mixing down the tempo will KILL the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    Let the last dudes song finish and bring yours in. Like someone said mixing down the tempo will KILL the floor.
    THAT SOMEONE WAS EAN GOLDEN. Kill the renegade!

Quote Originally Posted by JulianVeloso View Post
    THAT SOMEONE WAS EAN GOLDEN. Kill the renegade!
    So he was, I didn't read who posted. I was agreeing with him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast