Launchpad vs Midi Fighter (Traktor)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Launchpad vs Midi Fighter (Traktor)

I'm looking at grabbing one of the two for use with Traktor. Can anyone give me some thoughts on the pros and cons of each so I can make a decision? I know they both excellent at what they do, but I just want to grab one that will offer me the most diverse assortment of possibilities (and least headaches!). Thanks!

MIDI Fighter

Pros - arcade buttons, robust design, compact size, instant support for DJTT mappings, hardware expansion, class compliant drivers = plug and play

Cons - limited to 16 buttons w/o hardware mod

Launchpad

Pros - 64 buttons, MIDI note/cc configurability via Automap software, soft faders and xy pads via Midikatapult ($20 add-on)

Cons - has to run Automap in the background for non-Ableton software, buttons feel weird
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Id say it really depends on what your going to use them for. If you want an addon for a controller you already own id go for the midi fighter, but for more control overall id go for the launchpad.

Id also recommend checking out some mappings for each to get a good idea of how your going to use them .

Quote Originally Posted by No Left Turn View Post
    Launchpad

Cons - has to run Automap in the background for non-Ableton software, buttons feel weird
    This is actually not true. All of the buttons still send MIDI notes or CC messages when not in Automap mode.
    Last edited by Onimode; 09-06-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

guys theres also a price range difference. no one has brought it up. the launchpad is only 123$ where was the MF is expensive. but i went with the apc20 instead of the launchpad
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Quote Originally Posted by ranzerox View Post
    guys theres also a price range difference. no one has brought it up. the launchpad is only 123$ where was the MF is expensive. but i went with the apc20 instead of the launchpad
    I was purposely not taking OP's wallet into account because he didn't mention his wallet size. :P

But, yes! There is a big price difference. $200 for a MFC, and $350 for a MFP. This was the deciding factor in me getting a Launchpad over the MFC when I was buying.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Yeah, I don't really care about the price - I wouldn't get a pro I don't think, simply because I don't know if the additional faders would get used to the extent that they charge. I look at the price as a "is it worth it to me" sort of thing.

The nice thing about the Launchpad would obviously be the more robust options due to the number of buttons. Also, the lite version of Ableton would be fun to screw with before buying the full version.

The MF's plug and play is really awesome. Also, the general feel of the controller would be pretty excellent.

I'd love a general FX controller and cue point juggler, along with a performance tool. It sounds like I could possibly get more use out of a Launchpad after reading about the possibilities it has. The one thing I'll have to find is a really good FX template for 2-deck mixing. I'll hunt a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoga3000 View Post
    I'd love a general FX controller and cue point juggler, along with a performance tool. It sounds like I could possibly get more use out of a Launchpad after reading about the possibilities it has. The one thing I'll have to find is a really good FX template for 2-deck mixing. I'll hunt a bit.
    the button action of the MF'ers is probably the best for rapid (rabid?) cue point button mashing, tho can't say i do any of that anyway...

i like the feel of the pads on the lp and with 80 buttons in total (i think) you have a whole heap of possibilities - even before u consider multi page mappings.

personally i love using different colors on diff pads on the lp to outline the layout - something u dont have on the MF ofc.

very different animals - suited for very different purposes imho.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by Onimode View Post
    This is actually not true. All of the buttons still send MIDI notes or CC messages when not in Automap mode.
    Oh cool! I'm still a pretty new Launchpad user. The manual said that you need to run Automap in the background, so I always thought it was necessary. Never tried it without it.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Tech Convert

Go for the launchpad, cheap and extremely versatile. Got one myself and its a essential piece of equipment in my production as well as "Djing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast