Portable controller (or mixer with MIDI?) for 4 channel mixing a la X-Session Pro?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Portable controller (or mixer with MIDI?) for 4 channel mixing a la X-Session Pro?

I'm currently using an X-session Pro to control Traktor's internal mixer and it's nearly my ideal solution, but lacking in a couple of ways: 1) the EQ knobs on the outermost channels (1 & 4) don't have a center indent - slight annoyance, 2) I'd like a filter knob for each channel on the mixer as well.

I'd be willing to spend a reasonable amount of money for a controller that was better designed for mixing 4 channels, but can't find anything matching my criteria:
    1) reasonably portable so I can bring it to a club and fit it in a booth (I want to carry on using the internal mixer in Traktor, much easier plugging in one stereo pair rather than 4 channels to the club's mixer!)
    2) MIDI output (when considering buying a 4 channel mixer a la DDM400 and mapping it)
    3) designed for mixing (goes without saying but I mean things like having center indents on the EQ knobs - so something like the UC33e fails here)
    4) No need for effects or transport controls - just volume and EQ and filter

A few buttons would be useful but not a definite requirement - I will be using my iPad (in theory) for transport and effect control. I'd hoped Faderfox might have something fitting the bill, but their 4 channel controller only has one set of EQ knobs, wtf!

Any suggestions, either mixers or controllers? Of course, I know I won't be able to resist the S4 and this will all be a moot point, but humour me

Tech Guru

yeah i have a ddm and ill be making my own additional controller, most likely 20 arcade buttons and 12 knobs using the umc32
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

I know this may not be exactly what you are looking for, but what about adding something like the Livid Code to your current setup?

Minus the actual mixer, this very well could give you some solid results as far as knobs go, and having some extra buttons.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Thanks all, great suggestions.

Just realised the DDM400 lacks knobs I could use for the filters (maybe the gain knobs, I suppose, if they have a center detent?). It's not really as portable as what I have in mind either - I think what I really want is just an X-Session Pro Pro

The Livid Code is beautiful and very tempting!

I think I will sit out the next 6 months or so with the X-Session, iPad and maybe the BCR and see where we are after then. The S4 looks lovely but I'm interested to see how other manufacturers will respond. I might have to avoid coming into physical contact with one though as I might not be able to resist...

Tech Guru

the gain knobs dont work in midi mode..
    only the black knobs (eqs) and everything else except the external fx, but theres a way around that
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    I know this may not be exactly what you are looking for, but what about adding something like the Livid Code to your current setup?

Minus the actual mixer, this very well could give you some solid results as far as knobs go, and having some extra buttons.
    thats actually a pretty sick controller
    well add on maybe move some of those for arcade buttons

Tech Wizard

Just seen the Stanton SCS1M which looks like it'd be the ideal controller (and then some) for what I'm after. Unfortunately, the price of it puts it up in the sort of range where for an extra ~£300, I could get the S4, so I'm going to have to wait til I've played with that before making any kind of decision!

Tech Guru

Until you don't choose you can use a Korg nanoKontrol ($55) together with a x-session pro, you would have your deck c and d and some other controls

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    Until you don't choose you can use a Korg nanoKontrol ($55) together with a x-session pro, you would have your deck c and d and some other controls
    Yeah, I already have a NanoKontrol but really don't get on with it, it's too cheap-feeling and small. The X-session is close enough to what I want that I can live with it until I find my ideal controller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast