Producer goes DJ, gear decision
    Tech Convert

Default Producer goes DJ, gear decision

Hi!
    I've been produced stuff for years, and now I need to create a simple laptop-based Dj-setup and perform under my project's name. The important thing here: I want to use only midi devices. DAW - Ableton Suite.
    It's going to be a two-person(!) Dj-set.
    So, we are already have some gear in the studio:
    - TC Electronic Impact Twin
    - Novation SL MKII 49(going to use it for synth-lines also)
    - AKAI APC20(for cliplaunch mainly)
    - Novation Launchpad(maybe for FX?)
    And I'm going to buy Novation Nocturn and use like a mixer (eq+crossfade)

Any suggestions?
    Btw, sorry for terrible English and thanks in advance

If you're already comfortable with the APC20, I'd go for the full blown APC40 to get the cross fader and Knobs, for EQ.

I have the Novation Nocturn, it's almost a toy, doesn't feel very sturdy. It's ok for the money, but the cross fader starts giving false messages pretty quickly if you're not [i]really[i] delicate with it. by false messages I mean it's very hard to get it central, and some times it will slowly move the cross fader across.

You also have to deal with Automap, which personally I don't like, I find it annoying you have to another piece of software interfacing between your DAW and hardware, but some people might like it. Especially if you already have the SL MKII.

In that case maybe you [i]should[i] get the Nocturn, along with the Launchpad, then you can create big automap settings for all of them.

I like Akai's stuff though, an APC 40 and MPK49 would be pretty dope for two people doing a live ableton set. Simple professional and rugged.

Hope that helps.

Rj

Tech Convert

Rumblejazz
    Big thanks for the feedback.
    So,is it worth it to get the apc40 instead of launchpad and nocturn?
    I like launchpad for it's, flexibility, user modes and stuff like this http://www.aurexmusic.com/launchpad

dont know if apc40 can deal with such a things

or maybe just get m-audio x-session instead of nocturn?

True there's alot to be said for the launchpad. But if you want stuff for life shows, it just seems to be like having everything all in one would be more reliable, and it's got the replaceable(i think?) cross fader. It's all good stuff. Just noticed you ALREADY have the launchpad, didnt notice that before.

SL MK II and launchpad sounds pretty, yeah an x-session over a nocturn, less cramped. but bigger... and no automap. Maybe you should get a nocturn! hahaha,

Do you really need a crossfader for live?

Tech Wizard

Skrillex simply uses a M-Audio Trigger Finger, which I have heard were really quite well.
    You really are my Ecstasy, my real life fantasy.
    I’ll never be the same, I'll tell you for sure.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblejazz View Post
    Do you really need a crossfader for live?
    hmm..
    As I've mentioned I'm new to djing, so any advices are appreciated
    Honestly, never imagined Dj-act without the crossfader. Am I wrong?

I have faders on sl mk2, but they don't seem to have right fell for this task..

Quote Originally Posted by melvee View Post
    hmm..
    As I've mentioned I'm new to djing, so any advices are appreciated
    Honestly, never imagined Dj-act without the crossfader. Am I wrong?
    Nearly every pro DJ I've ever seen live hasn't used a crossfader. Really, they're only important for people who need to control two volumes with one hand while the other is doing something else - so, scratch DJs and certain kinds of controllerists (I think Moldover uses one in his setup from memory).

If you play disco, house, techno, minimal, or anything that's just blending tracks together, you're much better off learning to live without the crossfader. My DJing became a *lot* better and I started getting a lot more gigs once I axed the crossfader from my setup.

I also have a Nocturn (foolishly, I actually went for that rather than another MIDI controller because it had a crossfader!) and I can confirm that they feel quite cheap. Not as cheap as a Korg NanoKONTROL or NanoPAD, but cheap nonetheless. If I were starting out again I think I'd go for a UC33e or something similar.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by chadparkhill View Post
    If you play disco, house, techno, minimal, or anything that's just blending tracks together,
    thats right.
    So, what you can recommend ? I mean, about my 2-person setup
    sl mk2
    apc20
    apc40
    and maybe thats it?

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by melvee; 10-28-2010 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by melvee View Post
    thats right.
    So, what you can recommend ? I mean, about my 2-person setup
    sl mk2
    apc20
    apc40
    and maybe thats it?

Thanks for the input.
    I'd recommend that you go to a store and have a play around with some of the controllers on offer. Don't be pushed or rushed into buying something. Have a clear idea of what you'd like to do with the controller before you buy.

IDK, it seems like you have a lot of useful gear already, maybe you could just learn to make do with what you have?