Harmonic Mixing?
    Tech Convert

Default Harmonic Mixing?

Hi All,

I am very new to Traktor & have been looking around at various things, I believe you can do Harmonic Mixing which uses the "Key" that each track is set in by referring to the Camelot Wheel using a piece of software called MixedInKey,

Just wondering if such a wheel exists for Traktor & the Key's it sets?

If you're serious about harmonic mixing then get Mixed in Key (MiK) and forget anything that Traktor tells you about key. Traktors own key finder is nowhere near as good as MiK's.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    If you're serious about harmonic mixing then get Mixed in Key (MiK) and forget anything that Traktor tells you about key. Traktors own key finder is nowhere near as good as MiK's.
    KeyFinder is free and just as reliable (in my experience).
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

I don't doubt that you're right as the software may have been updated since, but this is what I've found on the subject:

http://djtechtools.com/2015/11/16/ke...-2015-edition/
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Tech Wizard

Even if traktors key is off, once you get your ear in its not hard to realise that it's off andadjust it manually

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    Was just wondering if there was like a Camelot wheel but for what traktor see's just so can visualise & get an idea etc, it looks as though there is

traktor-key-wheel_alta.jpg

Tech Wizard

I like to call it harmonically mindful mixing. Relying purely on the circle can get stale. Put in some time to learn the musical theory and understand what rules you can bend and those you ought not to.

I have a third X1 that I've mapped exclusively for key adjustments...I might adjust a half a semi tone up over the course of an entire track and bring in another track at -.5 a semi tone, leave it at that, being in a third track at that native key, and spend 48-64 bars bringing them to parity,

For long blends it's important to understand how tracks fit together from both a mood and harmonic standpoint. Think of your set like a piece of writing. You can mix a frenetic short story, or a gently evolving novel. Both can be impactful, it's about reading audience response, as well as judiciously listening to what you are doing to your music, and how it affects the overall tone.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    I like to call it harmonically mindful mixing. Relying purely on the circle can get stale. Put in some time to learn the musical theory and understand what rules you can bend and those you ought not to.

I have a third X1 that I've mapped exclusively for key adjustments...I might adjust a half a semi tone up over the course of an entire track and bring in another track at -.5 a semi tone, leave it at that, being in a third track at that native key, and spend 48-64 bars bringing them to parity,

For long blends it's important to understand how tracks fit together from both a mood and harmonic standpoint. Think of your set like a piece of writing. You can mix a frenetic short story, or a gently evolving novel. Both can be impactful, it's about reading audience response, as well as judiciously listening to what you are doing to your music, and how it affects the overall tone.
    Thanks for that, I'm just trying to get an understanding of how things are sounding & what will/won't fit together, so it's all a big learning curve for me