dealing with party guest
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default dealing with party guest

well recently at the house parties I play, some body will request a song and I will be like ok I will try and work it into my mix. But five mins later they will come back up to the table and be like when are you gonna play my song. I am ready to hear it. And I am like its coming don't worry. As I am trying to work up into the bpm's to get to there song they come up again and is like why haven't you played my song. They don't understand that I may be in 80 bpm range and there song they wanted might be 120bpm.

I hate it when people come up to me like that it pisses me off.

so I was wondering what do you guys do for these kinds of people.

Quote Originally Posted by djxsquizet View Post
    well recently at the house parties I play, some body will request a song and I will be like ok I will try and work it into my mix. But five mins later they will come back up to the table and be like when are you gonna play my song. I am ready to hear it. And I am like its coming don't worry. As I am trying to work up into the bpm's to get to there song they come up again and is like why haven't you played my song. They don't understand that I may be in 80 bpm range and there song they wanted might be 120bpm.

I hate it when people come up to me like that it pisses me off.

so I was wondering what do you guys do for these kinds of people.
    I ask for money.

Straight up.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

It pisses me off too, man. In fact, I'm sure every DJ who has spun at a house party or club can sympathize.

The first thing I think you need to realize is that a lot of the crowd, especially as the booze starts flowing, couldn't give any less of a shit about the things we care about (ie mixing, transitions, tension, energy). They want to hear the songs they want to hear. I usually just tell them about how long it'll take me to get there. Also, if they become a real nuissance and you have a good relationship with whoever is running the party just give em a heads up so they aren't blind sided by some drunk chick crying about how you won't play their favorite song that they love to strip to, or something. And then he comes to you yelling about how drunk chicks could be naked if you'd just be a good DJ, and you get mad and throw something at him and he spills his drink all over your laptop "accidentally" and a fist fight breaks out and no one wins.

I usually just placate them, and the more they annoy me the less likely I am to play their request. But I'm an arrogant, elitist snob. *shrug* :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

hehe, everytime I hear stories like this I think about how much of an abnoxious ass I was as a kid. I would harass every DJ hired to play our family's wedding receptions. My aunt's wedding especially, back in the early 90's when I was 9 and Kris Kross was the shizzel. After about 20 requests & 10 Sherley Temples I finally got the guy to play Jump...ahh, good times

Tech Mentor

if you are planning on playing it, you just have to tell the guy, hey, im working on it. just give me some time and i promise i will play it.
    if you arent, or dont have it, just say hey man, im sorry but im not gonna be able to play that for you. but if you have another track in mind, what would you want?

if you think there is a problem with them, get either the host of the bouncer to deal with it.

Seriously.

Ask for money.

at a house party i would not ask for money. your there to entertain.

At a bar, i would ask for a 5 or a 10 from a guy but not from girls. You want to keep them happy for the most part.

at a club you need 3 things:

a) be left alone to focus
    b) them to be happy dancing on the floor
    c) the customer to leave happy

so smile, give them my complete attention and say- yes, i will certainly try and work that in. or just give them the thumbs up and not say anything. Then return immediately to working. They go away happy, and if they return again I simply say. Sorry, i looked for it and i don't have that song. no matter what you have to try and get rid of them quickly and keep everyone happy. i find lying works really well for that.

Tech Mentor

good advice for the most part ean. you need to be careful with lying to people on that. you might build a reputation for it.

"no matter what you have to try and get rid of them quickly and keep everyone happy. i find lying works really well for that"

theres the answer!

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

Tech Mentor

its much better to be upfront and honest.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast