Macbook help

Thread: Macbook help

Tech Mentor

Default Macbook help

Heya guys hope you all had a good Xmas!!

Basically just got an older mac-book for Xmas which im going to use for strictly DJing. I am going to be using Traktor Pro 2 but when i go to download it, it said i need to be running OS X 10.7. I have also read up that i can upgrade to Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 and it will work but my Mac is telling me 10.7!

Anyone got any exspericnes with this? I am currently running OS X 10.5.8

Also heard the OS X Lion 10.7 mucks up older Macbooks?

Wats the best thing to do guys?

Start by stating which type of MacBook you have? How old is it?
    | http://cheef.tv - YouTube | Facebook - http://cheef.dj |

Tech Mentor

Personally I would update to the last version of SL (10.6.8) and then go from there. That was and still is a great OS and the one I currently run TSP2 on (till I transfer to Mavericks).

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

So long as its a Core2Duo Macbook the latest OS will work perfectly - IMHO better than any other iterations of OSX so long as you have at least 4gb of RAM - which you should have anyhow :P

So in order:

1. Update to 10.6
    2. Update (Free) to 10.9 - be warned its roughly a 6GB download.

check http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_c...supported.html
    Your MBP will most likely allow you to go up to the current OS version.

Older macbooks handle newer OSes without much of a problem really ... no need to worry.

Regarding Traktor. Depending on the exact version (2.1 2.2, whatever) you will indeed need a more recent OS like 10.7 at the least. You always have the option of using a version that's a little older and that is compatible with 10.6.8.

Personally I just switched from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8 and intend on going to 10.8 or 10.9 because Traktor versions running on my OS doesn't yet have Sample decks and apparently doesn't handle the MK2 timecode vinyl.

What's a "must" have for you, and that way you'll be able to determine if you truly need to upgrade(seeing as you don't appear too thrilled about the idea )

Certain MacBooks only go to certain OS x's I had a power book g4 which only went to 10.5.8 it all depends how old and how much ram you have, I managed to find an older copy of traktor but was causing me grief, I finally got a MacBook Pro now running with osx mavericks and every thing runs very smooth...check the age of your mac, check the highest operating system then install the highest traktor you can.

When I installed mavericks 10.9 I only had 5gb left on my solid state, I cleared some space for the new install, and afterwards I has 15gb available? Must of cleared some old registries. Btw i have done a optical drive mod and have 1tb as a second drive.

Good luck

Tech Mentor

I have a 2008 black macbook and i have the latest Traktor 2.6.5. So how would i install an earlier Traktor (if i needed to) when i have the latest one already installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Macco View Post
    I have a 2008 black macbook and i have the latest Traktor 2.6.5. So how would i install an earlier Traktor (if i needed to) when i have the latest one already installed?
    Sounds like your all sorted if its all working.

In regards to osx it can only go as high as the age of you machine and processor
    You would delete you newer traktor and request/download an earlier version from ni.