Question about the CDJ-2000 Nexus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Question about the CDJ-2000 Nexus

Hey DJTT,

I'm opening for Paul Oakenfold this weekend and I'm going to have to play on 2 CDJ-2000 Nexuses. This isn't the setup that I normally use and I haven't played on CDJs in a few years, so I'm a bit out of the loop (pardon the pun). I want to play on a USB stick. If I want to use the link and sync functions, do I have to use rekordbox? I do a lot of sampling and use the loop function often, so sync sometimes comes in handy.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

Yes you need to grid and tag your stuff in Rekordbox for sync/link to work. It's not a really difficult thing to do...just slow until you get the hang of it.

Also i'd avoid using any tools to "automate" it for you--as in export Traktor library to Rekordbox. Just get the tracks you know you will play done first...can always add to it later.

Good luck and hope you have a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Yes you need to grid and tag your stuff in Rekordbox for sync/link to work. It's not a really difficult thing to do...just slow until you get the hang of it.

Also i'd avoid using any tools to "automate" it for you--as in export Traktor library to Rekordbox. Just get the tracks you know you will play done first...can always add to it later.

Good luck and hope you have a blast!
    Thanks for your help, space monkey. I downloaded rekordbox a few hours ago, but noticed that Pioneer won't be sending anyone license keys until the new rekordbox is available. Do you happen to know when it'll be released?

Tech Mentor

I'm not into the technicality of the 2000s, but I've used them several times at gigs and I dont have recordbox. I've just sorted my music in folders. I have no idea how it works, but I've put the USB in and pressed link on the other CDJ and it works.

However, recordbox'ing your music is probably not a bad idea
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

Tech Guru

You can't prepare your tracks (i.e. beatgrid them) without rekordbox and he wants to use sync, so rekordbox is recommended.

However, since rekordbox doesn't seem to be available, you can just put your tunes on a usb stick (like Dohjo mentioned) and use the BPM readings instead of using sync, they're quite accurate.

If you've got an iPhone I 'think' you can use the ios Rekordbox app with the nexus 2000's if that's a help ? You can analyse, set beatgrids and loops and cue points and it's free. When I (sadly briefly) had a 2000nexus it came with a USB cable that connected to the iphone.

Def double check though as I could be wrong (I'm more of an AERO user these days)
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

ps - that's awesome you're opening for Paul Oakenfold !!
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000

Paul opening for Paul

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

update: yep, it looks like you can connect an iphone/ipad directly to the Nexus if you've got the Rekordbox app installed via a USB cable if that's a help

Check page 14 of the manual

http://pioneerdj.com/support/files/DRI1052A.pdf

In all honesty consider yourself lucky not only that you are opening for a legend but that you also dont have to bother with such an utter piece of crap named Rekordbox. It has been nothing but a headache and obstacle for me in the past. Beat matching on CDJs is smooth and easy and I would highly recommend you simply go that route...avoid Rekordbox altogether and burn CDs dude. You may feel that you are cutting your set, embellished with samples and such, a bit short but in the end heed this:
    Rekordbox is completely unreliable and you run the risk of showing up for your show with no tunes to play. Also, the above advice to simply have an external drive with nested folders is golden.

OK, let me re-iterate just to make it clear. Do not rely on Rekordbox to grid your tracks before a big event just for the convenience. You run the risk of having your database corrupted (has happened to me twice) and will ultimately end up using the pitch and jog anyway on loops because some sort of error the 2000s tend to make when looping gridded tracks.

In any case if you have any other questions or comments on using the 2000s i'll keep an eye on this thread.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast