Livid DS1 Knobs

Thread: Livid DS1 Knobs

Default Livid DS1 Knobs

Hi there Techtoolers,

I'm thinking about buying the glorious piece of hardware that is the Livid DS1.. But I can't find a clear specification on the knobs on there (I even went through the dark maze of google page 5):

Do the rotary knobs on the Livid DS1 have the "middle bump" that tells you when your knob is positioned perfectly straight? Like the ones on every DJ mixer ever?

Mapping an EQ/Pan/Hi-Lo-Combo-Filter on a 300 Degree rotary filter with no middle position seems like a bad idea, that's why I am asking.

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintox View Post
    Hi there Techtoolers,

I'm thinking about buying the glorious piece of hardware that is the Livid DS1.. But I can't find a clear specification on the knobs on there (I even went through the dark maze of google page 5):

Do the rotary knobs on the Livid DS1 have the "middle bump" that tells you when your knob is positioned perfectly straight? Like the ones on every DJ mixer ever?

Mapping an EQ/Pan/Hi-Lo-Combo-Filter on a 300 Degree rotary filter with no middle position seems like a bad idea, that's why I am asking.

Thanks in advance for any clarification!
    No they not.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    No they not.
    Thank you so much!

I just found the video of you playing on the DS1 with Traktor, seems to be working very well, even without the center bumps. Amazing what you did with a controller manager and some time!

Thank you so much!

I just found the video of you playing on the DS1 with Traktor, seems to be working very well, even without the center bumps. Amazing what you did with a controller manager and some time!
    Hey thank you for checking that out and for your feedback! Cheers,

Just asking: Is there an alternative midi controller that has a lot of knobs (preferably centered ones), around 6-8 faders 'n all the good stuff?

I had a look at the Novation Launchcontrol XL, but I don't like the thing only having 3 Knobs per fader-channel.

Or really just go for the DS1? I kind of don't know where to go at this point..

Just asking: Is there an alternative midi controller that has a lot of knobs (preferably centered ones), around 6-8 faders 'n all the good stuff?

I had a look at the Novation Launchcontrol XL, but I don't like the thing only having 3 Knobs per fader-channel.

Or really just go for the DS1? I kind of don't know where to go at this point..
    Check out CMD MM1 (also with USB HUB built in)

I wanted to firstly mod my DS1 and change pots to the detented ones but I actually didn't find this a real problem because I can map one button LED in each column as an indicator of the center position for all five knobs in the column. So which ever knob is used the LED state would snap to the next control.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Check out CMD MM1 (also with USB HUB built in)
    Looks amazing, does it run just on USB (with the lights dimmed like the NI controller) or do i always have to use the power plug? If I find a shop in Switzerland to buy it at this will be my go, if not - hello DS1.

Funny how the first thing I find when looking for the MM1's compatibility with chroma caps is a video of you using the MM1 + chroma caps

Thank you so much for your help on this topic!

Oh, just saw this thread Launchpad messing with CNTRLR .. Any reported issues using a Launchpad MK1 with a Livid DS1? Only if someone by random ever tried this combo..

Looks amazing, does it run just on USB (with the lights dimmed like the NI controller) or do i always have to use the power plug? If I find a shop in Switzerland to buy it at this will be my go, if not - hello DS1.

Funny how the first thing I find when looking for the MM1's compatibility with chroma caps is a video of you using the MM1 + chroma caps

Thank you so much for your help on this topic!
    Yup, the power supply have to be plugged in at all times.

Oh, just saw this thread Launchpad messing with CNTRLR .. Any reported issues using a Launchpad MK1 with a Livid DS1? Only if someone by random ever tried this combo..
    Even if it does you don't have to worry because you can use Livid's Editor software to switch the MIDI channel for all controls.