Budget studio monitors - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

If you have some glueing & soldering skills...

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-pair--300-640

Pair that with any reasonable Stereo receiver, and you will have a GOOD combination for monitoring in a home studio.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    How much space would you need to give them to eliminate this?
    The coupling will happen whenever the source is less than 1/4 wavelength from a boundary. At 40Hz, 1/4 wavelength is just under 8ft. So, putting the cabinet more than 8ft from the wall would be sufficient to avoid the "bass boost" effect.

This is completely impractical in "small" rooms. At that point, it is hard to get more than 8ft from opposite walls.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    How much space would you need to give them to eliminate this?
    I've had a look about, the manual states 1.5m, but this is a manual for all in the HS series so could be for hs8, as it seems rather a big distance for the HS5, have seen 6" mentioned as well as 1m.

Most important factor really is whether your mix will translate well on other systems, if it does then don't worry.

Really you just need to learn how your speakers sound, and how your mixes translate.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

And does anybody have any experience with the Adam F5s? Looks like you can get a pair for about 300 quid...

Tech Guru

Adams are great.

Mackie are my choice for budget monitors.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

I've been thinking about this and it's driving me up the wall... sure I'm missing something basic.

My current interface is pretty budget and has 1 phono output, so if I wanted to hook up (say) a pair of Rokit 5s presumably I'd need to use a 1/8 inch to phono jack lead... am I right? I can't find any 'single' leads online (1x 1/8 inch and 1 side of the phono), so would it just be a case of buying 2 with both phono connectors and only using one per monitor when plugging into the interface?

Tech Guru

1/8" output? What interface are you using?

Pretty much all have RCA or TRS.

Look on monoprice.com
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    1/8" output? What interface are you using?

Pretty much all have RCA or TRS.

Look on monoprice.com
    Great website.

Just re-read my post and it makes little sense. Think my brain was fried from over thinking it when the solution is actually dead simple. Thanks for the link!

DJWORX
    - The very best DJ gear news, reviews and opinion

I have a pair of gen 1 rokit 5s that I bought as floor models from GC in like 2005. They still sound more or less like they always have, and with a small sub, they can do an apartment party.

They are not that flat. They don't sound that great. I will upgrade them, but it's not a top priority. They're also a lot cheaper than genelecs.

I have DEFINITELY gotten my money out of them. They'll wind up TV speakers when I upgrade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast