vci100se works with cdj's?
    Tech Mentor

Default vci100se works with cdj's?

just curious if you can hook up cdj's to the vci100se ?

can you elaborate on how you want to use the cdj's?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    can you elaborate on how you want to use the cdj's?
    well what are the ways? i mean the way you normally would use a cdj900, having all its features as listed...maybe or would the cdj be operated from traktor?

i just wanna know if a cdj will work w/ vci100se, meaning like hooking up the cdj to the vci100se?

thanks in advance

Tech Guru

well... You cant actually *hook* anything up the vci 100. Other than a usb cable, and optional power adapter. In order to use it in conjunction with your cdjs (be they 900s or 1000s or w/e) you are going to need a legitimate copy of traktor pro, or your mixing program of choice.

Now, some of the cdjs support usb (900, 400, 2000?). You can hook those up to your laptop, to work with the vci as your internal mixing device. You'll then need a soundcard to get your sound from the laptop to the club mixer or Amp or w/e you plan on doing (if you are mixing internal, and using usb, something like the NI audio 2 dj would work nicely)

If you are not going the usb functionality, or you dont have a cdj that supports that, you are going to have to use timecode. This means you need to have a legit version of traktor SCRATCH pro, and a soundcard like the audio 8 dj. Basically, you'll load up the timecode cds, and run your output from the cdjs to your soundcard, and use it like you would any other timecode device (vinyl or w/e). You can still mix internally using the vci, but at this point, if you have a mixer and the audio 8 dj, you might as well mix externally, and use the vci 100 for dedicated effects.

As a disclaimer, I dont own a single cdj, have not used timecode, and dont use anything but traktor pro, a vci 100 (djtt mapping) a lpd8 (custom mapping), and occasionally a bcr 2000, along with an audio 2 dj for sound support. All of the above info is solely based on things I've read, and I honestly dont read up much on cdj's because I dont plan on ever buying them (only reason I do is because I want to be able to mix in the club or at a buddies house when I dont have my vci).

I hope this helped answer some of your questions, if not, give it another go, I'm sure someone else, who actually uses the product can provide more answers.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    well... You cant actually *hook* anything up the vci 100. Other than a usb cable, and optional power adapter. In order to use it in conjunction with your cdjs (be they 900s or 1000s or w/e) you are going to need a legitimate copy of traktor pro, or your mixing program of choice.

Now, some of the cdjs support usb (900, 400, 2000?). You can hook those up to your laptop, to work with the vci as your internal mixing device. You'll then need a soundcard to get your sound from the laptop to the club mixer or Amp or w/e you plan on doing (if you are mixing internal, and using usb, something like the NI audio 2 dj would work nicely)

If you are not going the usb functionality, or you dont have a cdj that supports that, you are going to have to use timecode. This means you need to have a legit version of traktor SCRATCH pro, and a soundcard like the audio 8 dj. Basically, you'll load up the timecode cds, and run your output from the cdjs to your soundcard, and use it like you would any other timecode device (vinyl or w/e). You can still mix internally using the vci, but at this point, if you have a mixer and the audio 8 dj, you might as well mix externally, and use the vci 100 for dedicated effects.

As a disclaimer, I dont own a single cdj, have not used timecode, and dont use anything but traktor pro, a vci 100 (djtt mapping) a lpd8 (custom mapping), and occasionally a bcr 2000, along with an audio 2 dj for sound support. All of the above info is solely based on things I've read, and I honestly dont read up much on cdj's because I dont plan on ever buying them (only reason I do is because I want to be able to mix in the club or at a buddies house when I dont have my vci).

I hope this helped answer some of your questions, if not, give it another go, I'm sure someone else, who actually uses the product can provide more answers.
    no i'm still like quite confused, can you list the steps you must take in order to get a cdj to work in conjunction with the 100se. like can you use the 100se as a mixer for the cdj. so now i think buying the vci100se would be pointless since the xone:dx can allow extra connections like hooking up a cdj. now im thinking maybe i should buy a cheaper midi controller mayb the vci100 or torq xponent and just practice with that till i get money to get cdj's and a mixer
    Last edited by cutflow; 02-17-2010 at 11:26 AM.

the vci-100 is not a mixer!
    it handles NO AUDIO data, only MIDI. You can't attach any devices to a vci-100 (except pc)
    if you are looking for a mixer to use with cdjs and no pc, look at djm range of pioneer or dn-x range by denon

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    the vci-100 is not a mixer!
    it handles NO AUDIO data, only MIDI. You can't attach any devices to a vci-100 (except pc)
    if you are looking for a mixer to use with cdjs and no pc, look at djm range of pioneer or dn-x range by denon
    +1

the vci can only be used to control the internal mixing software. Its layed out like a mixer for ease of mind, but truly you can map any knobs you want to the normal mixer functions within traktor. It doesnt handle sound. The sound must be edited by the software. You control the software parameter (eq knobs, faders and the like), with the midi controller.

EDIT

also... I kinda thought I did a pretty basic job of laying things out step by step? especially for someone who only knows it in theory....