Dj's using Traktor, some advice please..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dj's using Traktor, some advice please..

Hi everyone, my name is Kevin and i am 33 years old. I have been mixing for 10 years or so using decks and cdj's. But i really enjoy using tractor as i like doing really smooth, long mixes. I was alright on decks but i feel Traktor gets better results.

I have just brought an S8 and i am using it with my Mac book. I do not know anyone else who uses it so thought i would join a forum to get some advice.

I mix rolling drum and bass music mainly. I have used it for the last two days and it has been fine, i have synced all the tunes and i have recorded a couple of mixes, so all good.

I was just wondering if it was worth beat grid-ing my tracks as it seems i do not need too. I did have a couple of tracks today that went out of time but mostly it has been fine.

I tried to beat-grid a track earlier but when i pressed play the markers moved from where i wanted them set. And, yes, i did lock it after i finished.. Plus, it seems a lot of hassle having to beat-grid every single tune !

Does anyone else here use traktor and play drum n bass mainly ? How do you find Traktor in general and do you have any advice for me.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this.. ?

Cheers, Kev

always prep your music for digital djing in traktor. analyze,grid and hotcue (optionally key) every track as you bring them in, and eventually or in segments , do your whole collection. spending time on prep is where its at.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

The problem i have is, when i make a grid and press play, the grid moves ! How do i stop that from happening ?

It's beneficial to analyse your tracks, and key them too. It is good for transitions, and it adjusts gains to keep the tracks normalised, to be honest, if you are used to the old skool ways, it's just going to be a matter of doing the same thing a slightly different way, and you probably won't need to rely on sync or even beatgrids, take snap off and set an opening cue point, and save it as a load point, just do it as you come across each track.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    It's beneficial to analyse your tracks, and key them too.
    Cheers, i have started doing that. I am cueing the tracks up and listening before mixing, 99% of the time the tracks are in sync and no problems. I had two today that did'nt sound right, due to tempo shift in the track i reckon, so i just did not play them and deleted the tracks after ! So, i am just going to keep doing it this way. I am going to start a radio show on-line soon

Do you reckon, I don't really need to beat grid stuff as Tractor is good enough at doing it itself. But i need to be vigilant for that odd track every now and then.

Thanks for any comments, they are very helpful as i am new to this.

Tech Guru

Yes, always beatgrid them, always "lock" them so the grid doesn't change mid-gig (go to the grid section of the deck, where you can find the precise bpm and grid stuff, then click on the lock symbol). Traktor is not flawless at creating grids, and with a little training you will do it in seconds.

Using "load markers" is very useful too, the track will always start cued at the point you want.

You made a good choice, I prefer traktor over serato. And S8 seems to be very cool, there is a lot to learn and create with this thing.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Beatgrids are handy, but not essential, they are, if you intend to use sync, and you want tight loops, also allows ya to be a good bit more creative.
    I beatgrid all my stuff, because I love using loops and doing some on-the-fly creative stuff
    Once you analyse your tracks, you should see a beatgrid anyway..
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 02-01-2015 at 06:47 PM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Yeah I don't really bother gridding my tracks when I buy em - usually they're fine - odd one I have to mess about with.

Just plug your decks in & use the tempo faders
    SC | MC

Tech Wizard

Just to say how important it is to lock your beat grids - can get accidentally changed and then there's a train wreck in the mix!

Quote Originally Posted by nezza View Post
    Just to say how important it is to lock your beat grids - can get accidentally changed and then there's a train wreck in the mix!
    a train wreck would only happen if you don't know how to beatmatch or you don't know your tracks.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast