Behringer CMD Series - Page 3
Page 3 of 218 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

sounds like you have a good grasp on your software, it would be a great setup to have when spread across multiple programs like you are suggesting.

Don't listen to massive, you don't have to make dubstep, you can get some really nice & nasty electro and drum n bass reese from it aswell lol..

Also can I ask what looper you are using in ableton? I have been looking for a suitable vst for vdj for a while for a free midifighter mapping and only been able to find supatrigga, artillery, daft funk and instajungle. They all have issues unfortunately so I can't finish the mapping.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

behringer custom.jpg

The Behringer modular controllers appear to be based on a modular system themselves... (modul-ception), so this requires no scaling, and no new parts except the triangular buttons, which are slightly shortened. All the same parts, just combined and moved around, so it has a 4x4 grid, push encoders, and HID jogwheel/pitchfader. Can Behringer please make this? They could charge whatever they wanted for this and I'd still buy three of them and a CMD MM-1.

Tech Guru

The Behringer modular controllers appear to be based on a modular system themselves...
    This is not at all true. Each one has a unique PCB, and that PCB contains ALL of the parts used to make the controller work. These were not designed to be cannibalized, and if you tried you'd likely destroy the device.

The controller you've put together there is difficult to consider as an addition to the CMD line. Each CMD controller was designed to address ONE specific use case - clearly and directly. The controller you've outlined above certainly addresses YOUR workflow, but it doesn't have a specific functionality.

Also, no CMD controller will use HID while I'm at Behringer. It's not the right protocol for them, and there's no compelling reason to implement it. If there was a standardized HID implementation accessible to all hardware manufacturers, I might reconsider. But right now, there is no benefit to using HID for the CMD controllers. It gives me no better performance than I'm getting with MIDI, and it limits their software compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    The controller you've put together there is difficult to consider as an addition to the CMD line. Each CMD controller was designed to address ONE specific use case - clearly and directly. The controller you've outlined above certainly addresses YOUR workflow, but it doesn't have a specific functionality.
    it also makes much more sense to put the jog wheel front and center like on the actual PL-1 imho. the smaller buttons plus decent bank of encoders is probably much more useful for this time of controller too. i've got 4 of the djtech cdj101's now for my joggy-goodness but i'm still very interested in the PL-1, esp as something more sturdy for actually playing out. out of interest, how many ticks per revolution does the PL-1 put out?

Also, no CMD controller will use HID while I'm at Behringer. It's not the right protocol for them, and there's no compelling reason to implement it. If there was a standardized HID implementation accessible to all hardware manufacturers, I might reconsider. But right now, there is no benefit to using HID for the CMD controllers. It gives me no better performance than I'm getting with MIDI, and it limits their software compatibility.
    that's the key thing... no standardlised hid packet format. personally i can only really see the benefit of hid on a device that can display text or something, or to get extra resolution out of the pots. no benefit at all for the PL-1, especially as it's using 14bit for the pitch fader and hid would require a world of pain in creating mappings for each specific dj app that supported custom hid mapping.

at this stage the only apps that u can custom map hid to afaik are just vdj and mixxx (the next 1.11) anyway.

what we've done with mixxx 1.11 is basically implement an api that lets you map a hid controller almost the same as a midi one once you've defined the packet formats. absolutely pointless tho for a controller that supports midi and that wouldn't actually *gain* anything by being hid.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

What i meant by modular is that the physical controls are the same from controller to controller. The buttons are mostly the same, as are the knobs and faders. I guess "modular" only works there as I was talking about using the same controls for something else. What I really meant is "interchangeable parts", but that had no relevant inception joke associated with it.

I also totally mispoke when I said HID, I meant to say High Resolution. I agree completely that HID is a dead-end.

And I understand the design goal of the CMD line completely, and understand how it will sell very well. I've never spoken as highly of any DJ hardware as I do the CMD line. I've been excited about this since it's announcement, and am planning of rebuilding my entire setup of controllers I've built and switching over to CMD controllers.
    The modular idea is amazing, and something I've been waiting for for years. You're right about each controller serving a very specific function. They are ea A 4x4 grid with a high-res jogwheel and pitch fader is a combination of the two most-used constructs in controllerism, especially Ean Golden, and the people on this forum that do similar things. Controllerists have always had to repurpose controllers meant for traditional DJing... Why not make one out of eight new controllers tailored towards what a LOT of controllerists use?

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    it also makes much more sense to put the jog wheel front and center like on the actual PL-1 imho. the smaller buttons plus decent bank of encoders is probably much more useful for this time of controller too.
    What? Why? Look at the S2 and S4, along with TONS of other popular controllers. Large chunky buttons that are placed under the jogwheel. Makes perfect sense if you do any kind of cue point manipulation. Hitting the right control in a bank of buttons requires much more precision when moving at speed from the crossfader to the deck controls than does moving from the crossfader to the platter for scratching/juggling. Keeping the bank of buttons closer to the crossfader, and making them larger makes great sense for controllerists.
    Last edited by faderswagger; 05-19-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by faderswagger View Post
    What? Why? Look at the S2 and S4, along with TONS of other popular controllers. Large chunky buttons that are placed under the jogwheel. Makes perfect sense if you do any kind of cue point manipulation. Hitting the right control in a bank of buttons requires much more precision when moving at speed from the crossfader to the deck controls than does moving from the crossfader to the platter for scratching/juggling. Keeping the bank of buttons closer to the crossfader, and making them larger makes great sense for controllerists.
    only the S2/S4 and m-audio xponent really put the jog wheel that far back in relation to the overall size/design. i just figure that for most people wanting a jog wheel controller that it should be near the front - more cdj'ish. the eks otus put's it back a bit - but not by much.

i agree that if you want one controller for jog + lots of cue point juggling then your 4x4 grid in front may make sense - but for most people the PL-1's layout is probably a better fit.

if you're really into lots of cue point juggling nothing is probably going to beat a midi fighter anyway. a MF3D and a couple of PL-1's wouldnt' be too shabby

i can't wait for these behringers to finally get released anyway. right now my little cdj101's are great for jogs so not sure i'll be going for any PL-1 right away but all of them are just so damn tempting
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    sounds like you have a good grasp on your software, it would be a great setup to have when spread across multiple programs like you are suggesting.

Don't listen to massive, you don't have to make dubstep, you can get some really nice & nasty electro and drum n bass reese from it aswell lol..

Also can I ask what looper you are using in ableton? I have been looking for a suitable vst for vdj for a while for a free midifighter mapping and only been able to find supatrigga, artillery, daft funk and instajungle. They all have issues unfortunately so I can't finish the mapping.
    To be fair it's only just starting to come together. I've spent the last six months working on this with next to no knowledge of controllers or MIDI. I've had to learn as I go and what I've not been able to learn I've had to make up. I think that's the benefit of knowing nothing and working alone. There's no one to tell you that something is impossible, so you assume anything IS possible and then find a way to make it happen.

As for loopers to be honest I'm just using Abletons resampler routing with some Bomes scripting to keep auto quantization tighter than a ducks arse. All the vsti loopers I've tried were quite frankly shit. I'm open to ideas though.

And yeah Massive is epic. I was being somewhat disingenuous in my comments although any excuse for a cheap shot at Dubstep is valid in my book. Lol

In regards to the PL-1, just remap the controls and turn the thing around. Propa fukin job mush.
    Last edited by doombadger; 05-20-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Any news of release date yet?
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

Nope.

Tech Mentor

The shop where I buy all my stuff says they're in stock in 30 weeks... Here's hoping that's not true cause it want it NAO!
    (Link, in Dutch: http://www.bax-shop.nl/digitale-dj-c...t-details.html)
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds