MF Twister firmware upgrade issue
    Tech Convert

Default MF Twister firmware upgrade issue

I just upgraded the firmware on my twister and also did a factory reset per some instructions in the forums.

Now my shift encoder hold isn't working the way it should. All I can get it to do when mapping it in Reaper is jump from the min value to the max value when I push the encoder down and then it goes back to its original position on release like a momentary switch would.

Im also getting led flickering and odd behavior but only on bank one. However I was getting that before the upgrade.

I tried rolling back but I just realized I didnt do yet another factory reset so maybe thats the issue but I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem or could help me solve this.

Win 10 64 bit
    Reaper (both native midi mapping and realearn)

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Can you maybe add more info on this? (which parameter in the software is involved)
    It sounds like you've mapped some controls in Reaper to a pushbutton message instead of a rotary CC message. Could this be a mapping issue?

I use both "hold" and "toggle" Shift Encoder modes in my Traktor mappings and they perform perfectly fine.

Tech Convert

Hey Stewe!

Sure! So I'm mapping the twister to the waves ssl e-channel so that the regular knob is the gain on the eq and the push/turn cc is controlling the frequency. This was successfully mapped before I upgraded the firmware yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by pickflip113 View Post
    Hey Stewe!

Sure! So I'm mapping the twister to the waves ssl e-channel so that the regular knob is the gain on the eq and the push/turn cc is controlling the frequency. This was successfully mapped before I upgraded the firmware yesterday.
    I tested it today and it works fine at my end. I also did this quick vid to show you that it's working:

Just to be clear as more info is needed. After performing the update all Encoders will be set to CC type messages. Have you actually set them to Shift Encoders afterwards and send those new settings to the Midifighter?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    I tested it today and it works fine at my end. I also did this quick vid to show you that it's working:

Just to be clear as more info is needed. After performing the update all Encoders will be set to CC type messages. Have you actually set them to Shift Encoders afterwards and send those new settings to the Midifighter?
    Thanks so much for the video and the response. Im trying hard to get a video back to you but my internet is down due to high winds in the area. The video was interesting as I have my knobs set to shift encoder hold. I'm guessing you have it on shift encoder toggle due the behavior im seeing? With shift encoder hold before the firmware upgrade i could map the frequency (for example) to a push (and hold down) cc

So to be clear, how can I help you help me?

I would guess you want to see:

-my settings on the mf utility
    - reaper has a midi log somewhere im sure i could show you what its doing
    -the behavior im getting before and after the upgrade

There are other issues... one of which maybe just how its supposed to work

1. Getting alot of flickering on bank 1 (i'll get a video to you on that, and honestly thats not a huge issue for me as I really only use 1 bank right now) but theres a problem somewhere.

2. With the old firmware I can map the shift encoder hold and I get midi feedback to the device which is amazing but the shift encoder indicator just cycles through the colors rather than show me any info on the LED dots. (That maybe how its supposed to work but it did not do that before i upgraded the mf utility and firmware)

I will get you as much detail as i can when my internet gets back. Or later I can try to take video with my phone.

Anyways, thanks so much for your help.

The video was interesting as I have my knobs set to shift encoder hold. I'm guessing you have it on shift encoder toggle due the behavior im seeing?
    I've used CC Toggle only because my left hand was holding camera so it was easier to simply toggle a pushbutton instead of holding it down + twisting the encoder + holding the case. The CC Hold also works as expected in Reaper - I can do a quick vid if that's necessary.

I would guess you want to see:

-my settings on the mf utility
    - reaper has a midi log somewhere im sure i could show you what its doing
    -the behavior im getting before and after the upgrade
    Also provide a midi mapping if possible.

1. Getting alot of flickering on bank 1 (i'll get a video to you on that, and honestly thats not a huge issue for me as I really only use 1 bank right now) but theres a problem somewhere.
    I'm not experiencing this with my Twister at all so this may be a hardware issue.

2. With the old firmware I can map the shift encoder hold and I get midi feedback to the device which is amazing but the shift encoder indicator just cycles through the colors rather than show me any info on the LED dots. (That maybe how its supposed to work but it did not do that before i upgraded the mf utility and firmware)
    Again, providing a mapping file can help us figure out what could be causing this behavior. For me, all of this works perfectly fine in Traktor and Ableton.

I will get you as much detail as i can when my internet gets back. Or later I can try to take video with my phone.

Anyways, thanks so much for your help.
    Please also file a support ticket at: https://store.djtechtools.com/support

Tech Convert

I wont be able to reuprgade my firmware to get this info to you in a proper way until wednesday due to internet outage but I wanted clarification in a midi mapping file.

I assume thats something the daw would create when you make a mapping? Or do you mean something I can do from the midi fighter utility?

Tech Convert

I've used CC Toggle only because my left hand was holding camera so it was easier to simply toggle a pushbutton instead of holding it down + twisting the encoder + holding the case. The CC Hold also works as expected in Reaper - I can do a quick vid if that's necessary.

Also provide a midi mapping if possible.

I'm not experiencing this with my Twister at all so this may be a hardware issue.

Again, providing a mapping file can help us figure out what could be causing this behavior. For me, all of this works perfectly fine in Traktor and Ableton.

Ok!

A few videos and pictures to note whats going on here.

Behavior after firmware update (just trust that it worked before)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yI8...w?usp=drivesdk

Midi log after firmware update

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zPf...w?usp=drivesdk

Midi log before update (when it worked)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P04...w?usp=drivesdk

Mf utility settings:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ozC...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pdu...w?usp=drivesdk

Tech Convert

Hey Stewe,

So I filed a support ticket and they actually pointed me back to you. I'm not sure if they mentioned that to you or not since it's been a few days since then. So I figured I'd reply here to let you know. Please check out the videos above.

Hey Stewe,

So I filed a support ticket and they actually pointed me back to you. I'm not sure if they mentioned that to you or not since it's been a few days since then. So I figured I'd reply here to let you know. Please check out the videos above.
    Hey Pickflip, sorry for the delay.

I've check your infos - thanks for that!
    In your MIDI Log vid, you said that the problem could be that the Encoder is sending out message on Ch.1 normally and on Ch.5 when shifted. And having the feedback in RGB indicates that you were using the Ch.2 in your mapping and not Ch.1?

Can you please try to set all your rotaries to Ch.2 in the Midifighter Utility and see if that works?
    Performing the software update will always reset encoders to factory settings so that might be the case here as well.