Novation Remote Zero SL, replace encoders by potentiometers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Novation Remote Zero SL, replace encoders by potentiometers?

Hi,

I have a Novation Remote Zero SL that I use for controlling traktor.
    On the Novation are 8 rotaty encoders with infinite rotation and 8 rotary potentiometers with 0 - 270 degree rotation.
    Now I would like to have all finite rotary potentiometers.
    Thus I would like to replace the encoders by potentiometers.

Is this goal feasible?

If so, how would I go about doing it?

I dont think thats possible - sure you could physically replace the knobs but they wouldnt work how you would hope because the software on the unit would also need to be edited

Tech Guru

Yeah I dont think it would real work ay.

I think the infinite encoders are digital and the potentiometers are analog. Right?
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Tech Wizard

Thx for the replies.

I was hoping, because the encoders can be set absolute (they give values between 0->127 or -64->+64) that it might be possible.

Thats what I thought, I'll ask Novation themselves just to be sure.

Tech Guru

If you set them to absolute you could do a sneaky mod using pins, which is what I was thinking about doing at first. I decided against it as I realised infinite have their uses.

Tech Wizard

hmm, maybe, but i would have to use a midi translator or something, because i have to turn the knob 2*360deg to go from 0->127.

They have their uses but, the way i use them (for controlling the fx knobs of traktor), they are not so effective. And I already use the potentiometer ones for eq'ing, which really isn't doable with the encoder ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ejac View Post
    hmm, maybe, but i would have to use a midi translator or something, because i have to turn the knob 2*360deg to go from 0->127.

They have their uses but, the way i use them (for controlling the fx knobs of traktor), they are not so effective. And I already use the potentiometer ones for eq'ing, which really isn't doable with the encoder ones.
    Dont tell Tekki you are getting rid of your rotaries

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to rotaries really - sure the are useful for some things but they feel absolutly horrid which makes them useless for going crazy with effects controllerism style.

You might as well give the mod a go, its not like it will be destroying the unit as you could allways put the original rotary knob back in.

The fact that they work in both absolute and relative modes certainly helps the situation.

Tech Wizard

I've let a friend, who designs electronics for his job, look at it. And he did some measurements, and indeed, they are not interchangeable as is. One is digital, the other is analog. Completely different signals.

But now I'm thinking about integrating a custom midi controller, and some new potentiometers to replace some encoders.
    Any suggestions for the midi controller?
    I would only need 4 potentiometers connected to it (maybe 8, I'm not sure yet). There isnt really any room left for additional buttons or stuff.

Or just start making a custom controller, haven't really thought it through yet. Also I'm still adjusting to the new traktor. Rearranged a lot of my controls, and I'm not done (I just dont have enough buttons ).

Tech Mentor

Hope this doesn't sound stupid but what's the difference between encoders and potentiometers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast