HELP: DJing with Guitar Hero Revisited On Traktor 2 Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question HELP: DJing with Guitar Hero Revisited On Traktor 2 Pro

I know that the whole DJing with a guitar game control is an old concept.

Ean posted this video above with him going wireless with a GH guitar 5 years ago.

However, a lot of controllerism and digital DJing has changed since 2008. There have been several upgrades to Traktor since people started mapping game controls to their DJ gear. Remix Decks and new effects have been introduced with the latest Traktor version 2.6.x. New controls like the NI F1, Z1, and others have been launched since then.

That being said...

1) Is there a new and improved way to directly map a Guitar Hero control to Traktor? More to the point, could you possibly map a Remix Deck or maybe even two Remix Decks to a Guitar Hero controller?
    2) If so, could someone guide me through a step-by-step tutorial updating myself and the rest of us on how to create the mapping?
    3) How would such a new mapping of a Guitar Hero control be used to trigger a combination of 'Instant Gratification'-style effects combinations?
    4) Anyone who has an older Guitar Hero mapping, could you make your .tsi file for that in the "Mappings" section on DJTT?

I'm asking because I could never get the original instructions to work well enough to break it out during a live gig.

I have everything I need ready to go. I have a couple of dusty Guitar Hero guitars - one wired XBOX360 and one wireless PS2 - a copy of Xpadder, and a USB-to-PS2 bluetooth converter to keep one of the guitars 100% wireless. Currently, I am using Traktor Pro 2.6.3 on Windows 7 with an S2 and MIDI Fighter 3D.

Go forth and multiply. May the Force be with you ...and all that good stuff.
    --DJ B-Naut || Atlanta, GA
    Electro House || Mashups || VJ

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Guitar Hero is HID device right? You have any software to convert signals to MIDI so Traktor can pick them up?

Arrow

Hell yeah! Stewe the MIDI map Guru is on the case!

Video NSFW

I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Guitar Hero is HID device right? You have any software to convert signals to MIDI so Traktor can pick them up?
    Yes. Guitar Hero is HID device. At least, that's my understanding, according to previous posts here. The purpose behind using Xpadder is to translate the Guitar Hero inputs to keyboard commands that can then be used in creating the mapping. Now, has the behavior how a GH guitar interacts with current versions of Traktor changed with the updates in Traktor since the original tutorial was posted five years ago? Probably not.

Unfortunately, I have almost no experience or knowledge about the commands in Traktor's Controller Manager to put them in the correct order to do what I want to accomplish. Which, naturally, is why I started this thread.

My goals for the new-and-improved GH mapping would hopefully include one or more of the following:
    • Star Power guitar tilt 50% or higher to toggle Push More Buttons' Classic Sweep/Drama Super Knob Effect combo - with or without the Delay echo-out (AKA, the Armyofme Drama Sweep)
    • Strum down to play
    • Strum up to Pause
    • Fret buttons to control which sample(s) in the Remix Deck will play when you strum down
    • Whammy bar to toggle Beatmasher
    • An alternate way to shift the frets from Cue point / Remix Deck playback to an Instant-Grat style effect combo

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

Lol

Thanks for vid man, really appreciate it

In order to map any relative continues controls such as Drama sweep is requireing you'd need to grab some software that actually converts signal to MIDI and not to keystrokes. Since you're on windows I recommend trying out a Rejoice (freeware) since I've used to use it for years to make my old gamepad to arcade controller to rock in Traktor. That sh* worked flawlessly.

In order to map any relative continues controls such as Drama sweep is requiring you'd need to grab some software that actually converts signal to MIDI and not to keystrokes.
    Right. Understood. I'm with you so far.

Since you're on windows I recommend trying out a Rejoice (freeware) since I've used to use it for years to make my old gamepad to arcade controller to rock in Traktor. That sh* worked flawlessly.
    This is where things fell apart last time I tried getting the signal to convert to MIDI years ago. I installed Rejoice again just a few moments ago. Rejoice refuses to load. When I try to open Rejoice, I instantly get an error: "Component midiio32.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." The error alert only offers an 'OK' button and closes Rejoice from opening before I get any further.

Are there any other stable signal to MIDI that could replace Rejoice so I can move to the next phase of this project??

Did you try going right click and run as administrator?

Yes sir. I ran it as an administrator. The same error pops up.

Oh I see you're running 64-bit. Unfortunately Rejoice is not jet supported.. Same applies to many other free HID-MIDI converters!

Check out "glove pie" and "controller mate".

Oh I see you're running 64-bit. Unfortunately Rejoice is not jet supported.. Same applies to many other free HID-MIDI converters!

Check out "glove pie" and "controller mate".
    Really? That's why Rejoice is glitching? That sucks. I don't know anyone who still runs 32 bit Windows.

I looked at Glove Pie and Controller Mate. They both seem interesting...complicated, but still interesting.
    I also found MiJoy Pro. Would this be just as useful? At this point, if I need to spring $50 or so to make this damn thing work, then so be it. I'm in this how-to for the long haul.

So let's plug in...grab some safety gear...I'm strapped down and taking notes.

Class is is in session.

50 bucks? I'd get a brain jr and try install it in to guitar

Probably upgrade some more buttons too!

Good hunting man, that Mijoy looks very intuitive and easy to work with. Let me know what you decide to go for I can help you with mappings when you come to that page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast