[VIDEO] Arkaei @ IDA World Championships
    Tech Wizard

Default [VIDEO] Arkaei @ IDA World Championships

hey folks,

I'll keep this one short as you'll find the complete article after the jump... this is my routine from the IDA World Championships 2012. granted - it's far from perfect, but considering I only had a week to work on it it's quite cool to come in fifth at world league level includes some theremin wizardry at the end!

http://www.arkaei.com/ida-world-2012

YES! ^First!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Extra intarwebz to using "BAZINGA" and "IMMAFIRIN'MALAZAR" samples into your rouitine!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Extra intarwebz to using "BAZINGA" and "IMMAFIRIN'MALAZAR" samples into your rouitine!
    it's a bit cheesy, but I just couldn't resist

It's plain awesome!

Totally awesome dude. Can you give us a quick rundown of what you were doing software and hardware wise? What's plugged into what? There's a lot to keep track of in that vid! Having seen your home setup, I'd love to see a FM 'in the sudio with' style vid
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Totally awesome dude. Can you give us a quick rundown of what you were doing software and hardware wise? What's plugged into what?
    a quick rundown, yeah - but if I went into detail it would have to become an article

I used two Electrix Tweakers, the NI Z2, an Access Virus TI and the Moog Etherwave+ theremin. the IBM monster laptop is running TSP 2.6 and Ableton Live simultaneously. the Tweaker between the turntable and the mixer controls TSP (cues, key, dynamic "playable" fx), the Tweaker on the right controls Live. however, both Tweakers are also connected via MIDI because on windows, it's not possible to have two applications access the same MIDI device (in my opinion, the only advantage OSX has over windows is superior MIDI implementation).

in terms of audio routing, the Z2 is of course the TSP interface. the Virus serves as the audio interface to Live and runs into channel B on the Z2 (which goes through TSP so I can apply FX to it). it's funny because the MIDI delay between Live and TSP is exactly the same as the audio delay between the 2 interfaces so I didn't need to make ANY adjustments to MIDI offset in Live and TSP whatsoever, it just worked. then there's the theremin, which goes into the Virus and then gets some seriously complex processing inside Live... that took me a couple of days to figure out, in fact I only finished adjusting the settings when I arrived in Kraków

the live set is where it gets complex, it contains an arrangement (because I only have two hands) that controls the overall flow and makes the LEDs on the right Tweaker pull off a nice light show (like the polish flag during the intro) - but I'm also triggering session clips and playing drum racks. I wish I could've practiced it more (or at all even), but I was running out of time...
    Last edited by arkaei; 12-12-2012 at 06:40 AM.