How frugal are you?!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default How frugal are you?!

I wanted to make a thread where everyone post their favorite piece of equipment/best deal. Since this is the "Show Your Setup" section, please post a photo.

Example, I'll start first:

My Technics 1200s, I got my whole deal for $550.

Package included:

-2 Road Runner Metal Flight Cases
    -2 Technics 1200s MK2 (SELF GROUNDED)
    -2 Stanton Carts with Shure M44-7 Needles (brand new)

The guy even drove 70 miles to my location to drop it off, no issues with any of the parts!

Your turn! Im excited to see what deals we will see.

Shitty £10 sound card from a car boot sale, ASUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

On a serious note I got some sick Moudant Short MS906 floor standing speakers for £30. They are pretty pokey for £30.mordaunt-short-ms-906-9363.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

No pic atm, but got a brand new A10 soundcard for $300 from a buddy who only bought the bundle for Scratch Pro software. Been a few months though.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Crisis View Post
    On a serious note I got some sick Moudant Short MS906 floor standing speakers for £30. They are pretty pokey for £30.mordaunt-short-ms-906-9363.jpg
    Bit of a bargain for those, what are you driving them with?
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

sweet deal for 12's with cases. i picked up a pair of techs for $220 at a pawn shop years back...never underestimate a good pawn shop!

2 12's with flight cases and brand new Sure M44-7's for 550 is a crazy, crazy deal, as are two techs for $220.

I guess my best deal has been my odyssey coffin case that happened to come w/ 2 STR-8 80's in pretty damn good condition for $100. I'm not very frugal.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, I was very lucky to have found the deal. The rca on one of the techs was rusted. One of the lamps was out. Craigslist can also be a wonderful place to find techs. Just last year picked up a pair of 1210 M5G's in mint condition for $700. You'd be lucky to find even one for that price, hehe. Found a Rane Empath Rotary for $500 as well...just have to be smart about where to look and who you are buying from.

These are all bad ass savings!!

Craigslist and pawn shops have been my source for years, I love it. I have found everything I need for a fraction of the price.

I always tell people not to fall into those gimmicks of people selling "2 technics turntables/some issues - $1200" just because they are not being made anymore. If you search hard enough, have enough patience, and want it bad enough you can obtain any piece of gear for a great percentage off.

When you go to a pawn shop always remember to ask if the price can be lowered, most of the time pawn shops have a sticker with the date the item arrived at that particular pawn shop, the longer the product has been on the shelf the cheaper you can get it.

The mixer in the OP was bought for $75 talked down from about $200

The Hercules DJ Console under the mac laptop also pictured above was talked down to $60 from $200+

Being frugal is also being creative with what you have and things you just so happen to find... DONT FORGET THRIFT STORES, The Salvation army and Goodwill have more than surprised me in the past, my monitors are from the salvation army, they sound great and I got the pair for $5!

They are not studio quality of course, but if you heard the crisp sound and bass that come out of these you would understand (gotta love old school Sony hardware)
    Last edited by Mike Kraze; 01-20-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Tech Mentor

I got a pair of Technics M3D's at a pawn shop for $80 once . Sold them for $700 a week later. The current 1200MKII's I have, I got for only $400.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast